News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Accelerated Heart Rate

Jim - Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:54 pm

I am a 23 year old male. I workout vigorously 4 times a week which includes running as well as lifting. I wear a heart rate monitor when I workout because I am curious as to how many calories I burn during a typical workout. I would consider myself fit and in shape. 5'11" 180 lbs

While in Bootcamp class, I do not have a problem keeping up. During an exercise my heart rate will max out at 198 bpm but normally averages around 175 bpm. Recently after I stop an exercise my heart rate will accelerate to over 240 bpm for about 15 seconds then instantly falling to 155ish. I am very concerned about this. What is causing this jump in heart rate while resting? And is it something I should be concerned with?

Thanks for the advice.
Jim
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:13 pm

User avatar Dear Jim,

i am not sure what kind of monitor you use and whether or not it is of good quality, however, if you don't have any symptoms with this, there is nothing to worry about.

Your maximum predicted heart rate according to your age is 197 per minute.

If this happens during absolute rest and not after exercise, then at this point you will have to be seen by a doctor to evaluate you for a possible arrhythmia.

It is always a good thing to keep ahead of dehydration by having drinks (preferably rich in electrolytes to compensate for the electrolytes loss during sweating).

Have you had a physical before you started exercising that vigorously? It is usually recommended to have one before you start a vigorous exercise program.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here