News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Palpitations

MacTavish - Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:48 pm

For the past several months I have been experiencing chest pain which I associated with GERD but lately I have been having spells of chest pain and palpitations of the heart. I try to ignore them, but it doesn't always work so I take 1/2 of a .25 mg xanax and sometimes it works. Lately, I have taken 1 entire .25 mg xanax because I get extremely anxious when my heart starts to palpitate and it kind of works, even though I think my heart still skips beats, I can feel it less. I have had a stress test with nuclear medicine injection and it came out fine - only thing it said was that there was a mild decreasetracer uptake in the anteroseptum on stress images that does not improve on delay images. Sum stress score is 3, sum different score 2. This is within normal limits. Gated wall motion analysis demonstrates normal ventricular size and left ventricular ejection fraction of 63%. No segmental wall motion absnormalities are noted. Then I had an echocardiogram taken in October 2004 and it came back normal except it said that my main pulmonary artery was enlarged, and I don't know what that means when the test say this is normal. Then I had a virtual physical taken and it indicated minimal to mild stenosis and said that the thyroid gland is mildly heterogenous with hypodensity suggesting thyroid disease, hiatel hernia. I am 57 and weigh 137 and like to exercise, but am now afraid to do so because of the palpitations. Can you help - can I continue to exercise even though sometimes, not always, there is mild chest pain which sometimes stays around for a bit after exercise, sometimes not. My palpitations sometimes occur when I'm exercising or walking up the stairs.

Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:46 am

User avatar Dear MacTavish,

The chest discomfort that you have could be due to the palpitations themselves.

i suggest that you see your doctor to have an ekg and if you were not having the palpitations at the time (which is most probably going to be the case), a 24 hours heart monitor is the next step in my opinion, so that the exact nature of the palpitations is determined.

If you get the palpitations and they last for a while, i would recommend that you either talk to your doctor to be seen immediately or go to the emergency department to have an ekg.

The chest pain that you are having is most probably not related to coronary disease, you had a negative nuclear stress test and a normal echo as well.

How much was the pulmonary artery enlarged and what was the pulmonary artery pressure. Was there any mention of pulmonary hypertension?

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here