News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Arms and legs numb

Seacluded - Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:32 pm

For the past few months I've been waking up with my arms numb and, on occasion, my legs too. Thinking I slept in a strange position I just ignored the symptoms.

Today my left arm went numb at work. It stayed numb for about four hours and then, after I started getting pain in the jaw and pain in the chest (not severe, but pain), I went to the nearest emergency room. It isn't a hospital but just an emergency facility.

I received an EKG, some blood work and they said my EKG was okay, I could possibly have arthritis :?: or perhaps my electrolytes were low. I was told to take 300mg of aspirin and to see my family doctor.

I never second guess a doctor so, after having been there an hour, I went home. My wife then talked to my mother and told her what happened and she flipped and wanted to take me to the regional medical center which is supposed to be an excellent heart facility. She has no problem second guessing anyone if she thinks they're wrong. She thinks they're wrong. Her reasoning? All of the following: I am almost 41. My father died at 41 of a heart attack. I am about 30 pounds overweight with all the extra weight being in the stomach area, I smoke a pack a day, I drink every day (beer), don't eat right, work sometimes 16 hours a day, eat only red meat and am in need of a total health makeover. She thinks I should be seeing a cardiologist and not the family doctor.

If my EKG was okay and they allowed me to leave then I am thinking that it isn't my heart. She doesn't agree and said that an EKG is not a definitive tool and that I could still be having cardiac problems.

Yes, I realize that I need to change my outlook on the status of my health and make some drastic changes asap. But, could it still be the heart even if the EKG was okay?

Thanks for any info you can give. It's appreciated.
 mahart - Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:50 pm

I am no expert but it is my understanding that an EKG will only catch a problem such as an arythmia or palpitation if it is occuring at the time of the test. I don't think that will pick any kind of congestive heart failure or anything like that. In other words it could be still be a heart problem and it would not be a bad idea to follow up on it.
 Seacluded - Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:17 pm

:D Thanks for the reply. I was just released from the hospital yesterday. After the first visit I went home to bed and the next day at about 10AM, it all started again. This time I went to the hospital, the real one, and I was admitted for obeservation and then, in the am, was given a stress test with the dye. I don't have the results of the test but they said it was okay and discharged me.

I am supposed to go to my family doctor, have him look at the stress test results, have him order follow up testing and see what's up. The numbness in my legs has been going on for a few months but that pain in the jaw and the armpit pain etc was something new and kind of got my attention.

Since I had the stress test I told my "typical Italian Mother" that I'm fine and she can relax. No way will that happen as she is now thinking that perhaps the stress test wasn't definitve enough and I need more testing.

Somebody PLEASE write in and tell me that negative stress test means no heart problem. I can then print it out, show it to her at Easter when I see her, and get on with my life! I'll be forever in your debt! LOL

PS The ER doctor thought perhaps I had a pinched nerve or some degenrative disc disease. I think he only admitted me because he was afraid of my mother! :twisted:

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here