Forum Name: Clots & Anticoagulants

Question: Clotting in brain after a severe accident

ryan_vj - Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:39 pm

My mom met with an accident and docs say that there is a clot in her brain and surgery cannot be done. She has frequent seizures after the accident which she dint have earlier. Today it has been 5 days that she is in ICU. She cant talk, walk, sit, move, nothing. She opens her eye for a second or two when we say something to her and then closes them again. I don't even know whether she can understand what we say. She sometimes raises her ankle little bit and then drops it that very second and the same with her hands. She is on medication and the docs say that nothing can be inferred as of now and that we have to wait. Her CT Scan report reads as - Left frontal hemorrhagic contusion and acute SDH. Oedema appears to have mildly increased.
I saw a tear in her eyes which really is killing me somebody please help.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:28 am

User avatar Hello -- This is a very difficult thing to be going through. Severe head trauma often can take a long time to develop a clear clinical picture and prognosis. Often the patient will recover fully but it can take sometimes a very long time. Right now is probable that surgery is not opportune but when the time is right, if it's still necessary it may be doable. Then again it may not need to be done. Location of the hematoma is the likely problem, and when it can be drained or tapped or if it slowly dissipates on its own, all these things can play a role in the ultimate outcome, which is often quite difficult to predict and requires tremendous patience and endurance from family and friends. It's best, if possible, to arrange for everyone standing by to try and take turns. Your mother has responded to you, if only in a dull fashion so far, but this is a positive thing, a hopeful thing. A hematoma on the brain is usually just that, on the brain, not in it, causing pressure, and this pressure must be reduced, if not surgically then medically, usually with steroids. Again, this can take a lot of time. There is no "average" recovery period.

This will be very stressful for you and the others. Support each other even as you're supporting your mother. Stay positive and be prepared for anything -- but especially a long haul. Meanwhile please keep us updated and bring us any additional questions you may have. Good luck to you. We'll be holding good thoughts.

|