News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Ruptured Tendinae

LisaT - Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:00 pm

If you have a ruptured tendinae in the heart, can you feel it? As it is flailing about in there, if you can't feel it, why not? It seems like it would be an irritant?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:48 pm

User avatar Hi there -- The few people I've encountered who've had ruptured chordae tendonae weren't aware anything specific had happened. They did all experience symptoms, ranging from shortness of breath to lightheadedness to simple fatigue, but none were aware something had mechanically gone haywire. I also find this surprising, or at least I did the first time. It usually comes apart at the far end, where connnected to the papillary muscle, so flailing is definitely the right descriptor, but since the heart muscle has minimal sensory receptors (surprised? Me too) it may not "feel" this even though there is something "loose" in there.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck to you and please follow up with us here as necessary.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here