Forum Name: Cardiology Diagnostics

Question: Chest Pain

Stephan - Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:41 pm

I am wondering if I could get advice on this :

I am a male and I just turned 21.

I got chest pain since about a year on the left side of the chest, around the heart area.

I went to the hospital 2 times for this, both time they told me it could only be some normal inflammation, so they put me on pills boht times, but it did no diffirence.

The pain is constant, it is like it wants to stick out of my chest, it feels sore, when i move my arms it feels like it needs to stretch like an elastic or something in the kind. Sometimes I will have heart pain and my heart rate will beat faster when it will occur.

The chest also has a pretty bad bumb (It sticks out) and you can notice easly if I have no t shirt on, and a little if i wear oine, but it is still noticable.

I also have hard times swallowing sometimes, but not often. (When it hurts)

Right now it is hurting and burning, but sometimes it gets pretty bad, like a very sharp pain.

Any Idea what this could be?

Thanks,
Stephan
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:14 pm

User avatar Dear Stephan,

To determine whether or not chest pain is caused by coronary disease, risk factors for coronary disease and chest pain characteristics are looked at and then the probability of this pain being due to coronary disease is determined.

Your risk factors include you being a male. Your chest pain characteristics sound atypical, so the probabililty of this chest pain being due to coronary disease is very low.

At such a young age, there is a common condition known as mitral valve prolpase that is common and known to cause atypical chest pain and palpitations in the otherwise healthy young people. It is diagnosed by an echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart) and it just needs to be watched.

Other causes include inflammation of the chest wall and you are getting the medication for it and it is not helping. Neck problems, so i recommend that you have a neck x-ray/ct scan to exclude such problems. Acid reflux disease is well known to cause chest pain, so i would advise you to try over the counter anti-acids to see whether this is going to help espeically with the burning sensation that you have and the history of difficulty in swallowing.

With your history of depression, these pains could be secondary to recurring depression or anxiety, please, talk to your psychiatrist about these symptoms.

|