Question: severe pain under left breast with some swelling

jjrdcr - Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:20 am

I am 48 year old female, the pain started this afternoon it is very strong . On a scale 1-10 its a 10.
It's located directly under my left breast at about the third rib. I can cover it with the palm of my hand. It occurs when I cough, sneeze, burp, inhale, or exhale deeply.
It also occurs if I move my left arm far to the side or lift or push with my left arm.
It occurs if I try to bend over to pick something up from the floor. I cannot bend over the pain is to bad, I have to squat . There is also some swelling or maybe fluid in the same location as the pain, again I can cover with my palm, it is about 2 inches wide and 3 long soft and kinda smooshy when pressed against.
At first it felt like a pulled muscle, but I did not feel the sudden pain or tight stretched feeling you get when you pull a muscle nor did I do anything to have done so. Having worked manual labor involving lifting and carrying up to 100 lbs sometimes more for over 30 years I have pulled muscles before and usually worked through it.
I have started taking ibuprofen, hoping it is some kind of inflamation. I would really like to know if this could be the case or if it could be something else. I need to figure it out as I cannot inhale to take my spiriva.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:58 am

User avatar While the pain could well be caused by costochondritis (an imflamation of the cartilege between the ribs), the severity of the pain and the limitation it causes, along with this very odd swelling over the site warrants evaluation by a doctor urgently. You have to be able to take your Spiriva anyway, and you can't function well as things are. I wouldn't hazard a guess beyond possibly a very bad case of costochondritis, but the swelling has me both puzzled and a little concerned. You should have this looked at right away.

Please let us know what you find out. Follow up with us here. Good luck to you.

|