News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Ischemic Heart Disease

Question: Chest and collar bone pain

g&b - Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:53 pm

I am a relatively healthy 27 year old male with no history of health problems. In the last five or six days i have had some pain on the left side of my chest. Actually, more slight discomfort than pain. I have had some actual pain on the inside of my left collar bone and at times on my right collar bone. this pain also appears occassionally on the front of my right underarm/chest. For the last two weeks i have been at a new job where, for now, I am working at a conference table which gives me horrible posture. Today I have been focusing on better posture to see if that is it and some of the pain has disapeared. However, the inside of my left pectoral is sore and I do get some feeling of discomfort "inside" my chest, more on the left side. I think the pectoral soreness appears to be the muscle as when I press on it i feel the soreness above the ribs. None of this "pain" or discomfor gets worse when I am active and certainly hasn't inhibited anything i have been doing.

I'm just wondering if anyone has felt this or knows what might be going on. Of course I always think the worst.

Thanks
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:00 pm

User avatar Dear g&b,

To determine whether or not chest pain is caused by coronary disease, risk factors for coronary disease and chest pain characteristics are looked at and then the probability of this pain being due to coronary disease is determined.

Your risk factors include you being a male. Your chest pain characteristics sound atypical, so the probabililty of this chest pain being due to coronary disease is very low.

From what you described, it sounds that this pain is musculoskeletal in nature.

Bad posture can definitely cause neck spine pain which can be felt in the chest .

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here