Forum Name: Ischemic Heart Disease

Question: Chest and collar bone pain

g&b - Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:53 pm

I am a relatively healthy 27 year old male with no history of health problems. In the last five or six days i have had some pain on the left side of my chest. Actually, more slight discomfort than pain. I have had some actual pain on the inside of my left collar bone and at times on my right collar bone. this pain also appears occassionally on the front of my right underarm/chest. For the last two weeks i have been at a new job where, for now, I am working at a conference table which gives me horrible posture. Today I have been focusing on better posture to see if that is it and some of the pain has disapeared. However, the inside of my left pectoral is sore and I do get some feeling of discomfort "inside" my chest, more on the left side. I think the pectoral soreness appears to be the muscle as when I press on it i feel the soreness above the ribs. None of this "pain" or discomfor gets worse when I am active and certainly hasn't inhibited anything i have been doing.

I'm just wondering if anyone has felt this or knows what might be going on. Of course I always think the worst.

Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:00 pm

User avatar Dear g&b,

To determine whether or not chest pain is caused by coronary disease, risk factors for coronary disease and chest pain characteristics are looked at and then the probability of this pain being due to coronary disease is determined.

Your risk factors include you being a male. Your chest pain characteristics sound atypical, so the probabililty of this chest pain being due to coronary disease is very low.

From what you described, it sounds that this pain is musculoskeletal in nature.

Bad posture can definitely cause neck spine pain which can be felt in the chest .

|