Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Stabbing Chest Pain

krtek123 - Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:24 pm

I'm an almost 15 year old male, eats well, exercises often. I've noticed lately a stabbing chest pain in what fells like my heart region/ right and left lung area. When I breathe deeply the pain worsens and I have to breathe very shallowly; after a few seconds the pain is completely gone, but i'm left sweaty and shaking. It can occur at any time. Do you have any ideas what it could be?
 emskyle - Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:57 pm

It is very common for people who experience any sort of chest pain / discomfort to automatically think “Oh my god – it’s my heart”. Well in your case, it is very unlikely to be a cardiac related problem. You mentioned that you are 14 and exercise and this with the way you describe you symptoms leads to me think it’s chest wall pain. What’s chest wall pain? When something (i.e. inflammation from an infection, some sort of trauma like a pulled muscle or fracture) happens to the lining of your lungs, the muscles that aid in your breathing i.e. the intercostal muscles between your ribs, the ribs themselves, etc, pain develops. This pain typically will increase with deep breaths, moving, etc. and is usually referred to as being chest wall pain. Perhaps being a 14 year old guy and being physically active you have managed to strain a muscle in your chest (“bruised a rib”), you could have sustained a “hair-line” (small) fracture of a rib, and so on. It’s always advisable that if it concerns you, to make you parent(s) aware and to see your family doctor.
 madaliens - Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:07 pm

:cry: Yes I get them too, its very scary and can last for hours even days. I mainly get bouts of days every so often, some bouts take longer to subside than others. I think mine is related to stress or anxiety more than anything physically wrong. it maybe the same as mine, Inflamation of the chest wall which I have found has a name of Costachrondritis. Only thing I know to take is anti-inflamatory pain tablets (please consulat an adult if under age). Unfortunately for me my Doctor was less than helpful after an ECG and blood test was cleared he said 'some people just get pains' and didn't subscribe me any pain tablets (thank you very much!) and didn't tell me what I had got, had to find out myself via the net. I would definately recommend to see the Doctor though even if to discount any more seriuos possiblities (doubtful because of your age) which might make you feel a little better. Good Luck :D
 Doc Halloween - Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:02 am

1 ) Characteristics or information relevant to your current case of Heart pain or discomfort: 36 year old male, Overweight, Non-Smoker, Non-Drinker, Does not exercise much, Not taking medications
2 ) Which is the primary area to be addressed? Heart
3 ) Sensations that are predominant in your Heart pain or discomfort? Pain
4 ) Kinds of PAIN that you experience in association with your case of Heart pain or discomfort? Sharp, Stabbing, Unbearable, Acute
5 ) How often do you experience Heart pain or discomfort? Varies
6 ) How severe is your case of Heart pain or discomfort? Severe
7 ) How disabling is your case of Heart pain or discomfort or its symptoms? Severely
8 ) How long have you had Heart pain or discomfort? 3 years
9 ) Is your case of Heart pain or discomfort the result of an accident or another sudden traumatic event? no
10 ) Has your case of Heart pain or discomfort been medically diagnosed? no
11 ) Brief history of your case of Heart pain or discomfort and its treatment: Started 3-4 years ago. Maybe happens once a year, this time it happened the same day. I can pinpoint the spot on my chest where the pain is. Feels like someone is poking my heart each time I take a breath so I breath as less as possible. The pain worsens with a deep breath or with coughing. Last for 1-3 minutes.
The pain does not “radiate” to the shoulders, arms, or jaw. The pain is not described as tightness, squeezing, heaviness, or crushing. The pain is not accompanied by weakness, nausea, sweating, dizziness or fainting.

I do have gallbladder disease but I have had no syptoms in 3-4 years. Some doctors say I have gallbladder disease some say I do not so I never had it surgically removed as one suggested.

With the information given above is it "Benign Chest Wall Pain" or something more serious?
 clementine - Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:05 pm

I also get chest pain.
19yr female, non smoker, walk everyday.n no medication, no cholestoreal, blood pressure etc, not asthmatic or diabetic.

I get it above my right breast, very localised area, very sharp stabbing pain. i have had it now for about 3 yrs on and off. There is no accident that could have caused it.

Not long after it started dr. he growing pains. bout 9 months ago had it re-examined elsewhere (i had moved). dr ordered x-rays and ultrasound. nothing showed up.

Have mostly managed to live with it. but lately has gotten much worse and much more often. Having it now and its very bad. makes me gasp aloud.

there is no action that triggers it, or an action that helps quell it. as now i most often get it when sitting, and last night I woke because of it.

It has me worried because it hurts so much, i have had it so long, noone seems to know what it is, and now its getting worse.
 danescombe - Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:44 pm

Over the last 2 weeks ive been getting severe throbbing chest and left arm pain. I last for approx 10 mins and comes on in 'waves'. Its very painful. 20 years ago i had shingles on this same side of my body ( left).

is it possible for the shingle virus to still be able to produce symptons?. i should say that i am under an abnormal amount of stress at present.
my first thought was Angyna , but i have normal bood pressure ( 110/78), which is why im wondering about the effects of shingles and chest/arm pain.

Any thoughts would be most welcome
regards
Danescombe[
 joeboy5 - Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:04 am

:? I am currently serving active duty in Fallujah Iraq in the Naval Seabees. I am 20 years old and work out often. For the past two months every couple of days when i'm sitting down i will feel a sharp stabbing pain in my chest out of nowhere. It causes me to cease what i'm doing, cringe, and wait for it to go away. It takes a couple of minutes and then the majority of the pain goes away within 1 second and i can get back to work for about another minute. After that minute it comes back harder but 3/4ths as long as the first attack . Then the pain will dramatically decrease within 1 second but not fully go away until i no longer notice the pain. It doesn't hurt any more or less to stand or to breathe normally so i don't think it is chest wall pain. If i do stand up i get very light headed and dizzy. I don't get sweaty or natious. I don't want to bother the base medics but i would really like to know if it is a sign of a heart attack in the near future or if i'm just being a big wuss and it is really not a big deal.
Before i joined the navy i was about 90 pounds overweight for about 5 years of my life before i got my butt in shape and lost 85 pounds within 5 months. I gained about 20 pounds back during the course of two years. If that helps anyone diagnose what i have.

|