News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Lots of uncomfortablle pain in my left side...

Curious1 - Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:24 am

Hi, I ama a 30 year old male.. For the last few years since age 26 about, I have been experienceing chest pain across the left side of my pectoral muscle and sometimes dead center. With this I get stabbing, tingling , and aching in my left arm,Shoulder,forearm, hand and side of torso and neck, The tingling feels like a hot flash with tingles. When I was 27 I checked myself into a hospital for these symptoms. The doc checked me out and said I was fine but there was something that may need to be looked at. I stayed over night and did the tredmill the next day.. She said that it looked okay but there was just one thing that maybe looked strange and she wanted me to return for another test.. I never went.. I don't have any money or any insurance so I havent been able to go.. I work in a very strssfull job and it seems am generally anxious more and more in the past few years.. As I type this, I feel the pain.. My left hand is aching.. BUT, because of my job I work on a computer all day and my left hand is constantly performing quick-key commands as I am in Editorial... The pains i feel will occasionally cross over to my right side.. but more often it is my left that hurts. Any ideas? I appreciate all comments. I do have a history of panic attacks during highschool.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:29 am

User avatar Hello

To determine whether or not chest pain is caused by coronary disease, risk factors for coronary disease and chest pain characteristics are looked at and then the probability of this pain being due to coronary disease is determined.

Your risk factors include you being a male. Your chest pain characteristics sound atypical, so the probabililty of this chest pain being due to coronary disease is very low.

On top you had a stress test which sounds like it was negative even though there was this thing that had to be looked at further. But, there are some information which could help confirming that it was negative such as the time you spent on the treadmill and whether or not you reached your maximum predicted heart rate for your age and why was the test stopped. If you stayed a long time on the treadmill (generally going for more than 6 minutes without stopping the test or having chest pain is usually a good indication), if you reached your predicted heart rate without having chest pain, it is a negative test.

So, most probably, the cause of this chest pain is not coronary disease.

Your chest pain with the other symptoms sound to me more of a neck problem. i suggest that you have a neck -x ray or even a ct scan to exclude neck problems.

This might also be overuse of your muscles and sitting in a non-haelthy way at the office.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here