Forum Name: Cardiology Diagnostics

Question: Heart does not seem to get the blood every where

Ethan104 - Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:11 am

My question is a long one and it is in regards to my Mother. She is 53 and has been active all her life. Since I can remember she has excersised at least 4 hours a day which includes walking, lite weight lifting and dancing. She eats fruits and vegatables, proteins and grains... Pretty much she only eats what the food pyramid says is healthy and she has been doing that for the past 23 years. She has never drunk any alcoholic beverage or smoked. So here is the background on what happened.

About a year ago she injured her left knee, the doctors said it was a stress fracture and so she was off of it for about 8 weeks. After being cleared by the doctors to begin to move around again she noticed that she could no longer walk without a cain. Nor could she move nearly as fast as she had before the injury. Well my mom thought that it was something that would go away with time so about 6 months ago she tried to push herself a little harder(instead of walking for 1 hour at 3 miles an hour she tried to walk for 2 hours at 4 miles an hour. Now she use to be able to walk for 6 or 7 hours straight at 3 or 4 miles an our no problem...) Well when she got home she noticed that her left ankle had swollen to 3 times the normal size of the other one and that her old injury(stress fracture) was aching.

Well since that 6 months ago the knee has stopped aching but the ankle has not. Now around this same time she noticed that any time she started to move around she started to sweat profusely and get out of breath. Well about 2 weeks ago a uncomfortable feeling has been bothering her really bad in the area of her real stomach and heart(by real I mean actual location and not the intestins area). Anytime she starts moving around it feels as if her heart cannot do it and that she may collapse because the blood isn't circulating properly. Her intestin's area has ballooned to where it looks like she is pregnant(hasn't had sex in at least 15 years) though I must mention that her intestins area has been growing no matter what she does for the past 10 years.

My mother has always tried to keep fit and well for the 10 years it seems no matter what she does or doesn't do her body retains water at an alarming rate and that her stomach will not go down.

So my question now that you have some background on my mother is since she seems to have terrible circulation is this serious enough to go into the doctor for? I believe it is but she keeps thinking it will past or her body will be able to fix itself.

Thank you
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:45 am

User avatar Hello -- While your mother's original injury (the stress fracture) may have caused her to become deconditioned -- which is not at all unsual -- the most recent symptoms seem to have no direct relation to this deconditioning and yes, most definitely they warrant medical evaluation by a doctor. I'm not sure what's going on, especially since the swelling was first noted in the anke of the affected leg, so was likely related in some way to the original injury, the abdominal swelling -- her stomach being so bloated -- is not at all normal and could suggest congestive heart failure, which may have started during her deconditioned state due to the knee problem, but would have shown up eventually anyway, most likely. This is all speculation, however. She really needs to be seen and evaluated to determine what this is. It could be a lot of non-heart-related things, but it does at least fit the possible profile of congestive ehart falure. This needs to be ruled in or out and the true cause determined and treated.

I hope this helps. Good luck to you both. Please keep us updated here.

|