Question: Second opinion - chest infection

gr1701 - Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:22 am

Hello -
About 3 years ago I had some bouts of diziness (as in faint, not room spinning) I never actually fell over, just had spells of feeling that I would.
I had check on ears and BP (which was a little high but put down to White Coat Syndrome after 24 hour monitor) and I was tentatively diagnosed with 'Menieres'

These symptoms thankfully decreased. Then abiut a year ago tey returned while on holiday, not as bad but noticable.

Then about 10 months ago I started to experience some chest pains for a couple of weeks and then I had one night of absolute agony. My chest was 'tight' (middle of chest) and my breathing felt a little heavy and laboured. There were however no pains on left arm/shoulder or back (Thankfully!).
I went to see the doctor the next day after a horrible night and he could find nothing wrong with an initial diagnosis - possible it was a stomach ulcer. However, I went to see another doctor who gave me an ECG (trace) which was okay but had one part of the tract that was a little high - he said it may be pressure on my heart.

I then went to see a cardiologist who said it may be an infection and he gave me an echo and said that he believed that I had a viral infection in my paracardium and it had put pressure on my heart and bruised it slightly.

This all took about 4 weeks.

While I am now much better, I still get some chest pains and a sudden 'stitch' pain either down the lower left of my 'left pec' or to its right. The menieres is occasional but currently in remision (and long may it be).

I was just wondering if there was any advise of if I should get checked out again or if there is any medication I could ask about (I have not taken any meds for this at all). The 'natural shop' suggested bee propigate I think, supposed to be a natural antibiotic but needs to see a docotr before taking if have chest problems.

Any advice appreciated.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:37 pm

User avatar Dear gr1701,

You most probably had pericarditis which is inflammation of the pericardium and it is usually caused by a virus. Pericarditis is usually treated with over the counter pain relievers and anti-inflammtory medications such as ibuprofen and the like.

It is not a bad idea to have a follow-up appointment to make sure that everything is in order, but i don't think that there is any problem from the symptoms that you mentioned.

|