Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Fluttering in Chest, Pain in Chest, Black Out, and Fatigue?

Freakykate - Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:21 am

Start at the begginning. 6months ago I had a baby, during my pregnancey I was diagnoised with Pregnancy Induced Hypertension which I was put on blood pressure medicine for. After having the baby the Doctor saw fit to let me go off the meds. Over the past few months off and on I have experienced this fluttering in my chest. It's started happening more and more frequently. This past month we went on vacation for a week while on vacation I suddenly had that fluttering and then pain in my chest afterwards I was extreamly tired and just felt weak. Since then I have had these spells off and on, except yesterday was a little different. I stood up to change our television (wheres the remote when you need it! haha) when I walked over to my tv and I blacked out (I say blacked out because I couldn't see anything but I could still hear the tv and knew I didn't want to fall down cause I would get hurt. Just couldn't see.) I then felt the fluttering and pain in my chest followed by extreme fatigue, I laid down and slept for 4 hours after which I woke up extreamly weak. I have already made an appointment with my Doctor but I was curious as to what you other Doctors believe it may be. I am only 20yrs old with no previous illnesses or health issues. Any ideas?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:26 am

User avatar Hi there -- It's difficult to know exactly what's going on but your symptoms -- palpitations, pain, lightheadedness and grey-outs (blackouts where one doesn't fully lose consciousness but usually vision is affected) -- certainly warrant a cardiological workup to see what's going on. It could be something relatively benign such as electrolyte depletion due to inapparent dehydration, or it could be some sort of arrhythmia you've recently developed. Again, this could be trivial or it could require some sort of therapy or following. A 12-lead EKG, echocardiogram, possibly even a stress test, all would be indicated along with some blood work to check on electrolytes.

This should be done promptly, primarily for the reason you mentioned: You don't want to fall down and get hurt. Besides, there's always the possibility the problem actually requries some medical management. At any rate you'll know what's going on and how it may be managed if it even needs anything done.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck to you. Please follow up with us here as needed.

|