Question: Chest tightness, should I dismiss it?

tiredl - Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:52 pm

I am currently experienceing chest tightness and thought it was nothing until my manager just informed me that I shouldn't dismiss it. I came out of an abusive relationship aout 4 years ago and developed anxiety...I thought. I went to the doctor a few weeks ago for a trange feeling that I have been having for over a few years now. I at times feellike I'm moving but I'm not. It's not dizziness, I have no idea how to explain it...it really kicks into over drive when I'm on the 2nd floor of SOME buildings...I have no idea why.I start to feel unbalanced and just plain strange. When I was diagnosed with anxiety I read up on it and learned about a feeling of un relity...I have been having this since I was a little girl...I'm now 25...I never knew ow to explain it until I read that. The Doctor that I saw a few weeks ago said that it might not be anxiety but rather depression caused my my abusive relaitonship. Which he says can cause these feeling s of feeling strange or cause the feeling of moving at times. I don't see the connection but want to get a 4th opinion. Everyone has something different to tell me. I am supposed to go in for Lab work (which I did 4 years ago when this started and nothing was wrong) but have not been able to as of yet. If nothing came from the LAB results then he wa going to have me see a behavioral Theripsit to get their opionion on whether everything I'm experiencing could be due to depression and the anxietyis just of part of it. I just don't know anymore when I have a pain if it's from that or something else I need to be worried about. And yes I'm under a lot of stress due to finances...I've been asked a million times over. any thoughts of anything that I mentioned will be greatly appreciated
Sorry for the many mis spellings but I am at work and in a hurry...
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:59 pm

User avatar Dear Tiredl,

To determine whether or not chest pain is caused by coronary disease, risk factors for coronary disease and chest pain characteristics are looked at and then the probability of this pain being due to coronary disease is determined.

You don't have any major risk factors for coronary disease. You did not mention anything about your chest pain characteristics for me to able to judge whether or not they are typical.

However, females of the child bearing age are naturally protected against coronary disease unless they have had major risk factors (smoking, high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol) for many years which you don't, so, most probably the chest tightness that you have is not related to coronary disease.

What you are describing sounds to me more like anxiety rather than depression.

i think a behavioral therapist or even being referred to a psychiatrist would be a good idea.

|