News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Diagnostics

Question: 13yr. w/ entramuscular hemangioma, can it cause funnel chest

tarabeas - Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:59 am

At 11 years old my son was seen for a small pea sized bump in his left leg just above his knee (inner thigh area) two years later it is the size of a golf ball currently. Diagnostic testing by an angiogram resulted in entramuscular hemangioma. Treatment was to be performed however; medical could not cover the expense. His left femer is 1/2 inch longer than his right, he has scoliosis, and is now exibiting symptoms of funnel chest and has breathing issues when doing normal activities. Blood test showed white blood cell was a little low, maybe due to a cold but had no symptoms. He had a growth in his neck for about two and a half months and was thought to be lymphoma or non-hogi. des. but the lump in his neck went down enough not to complete a bio-.
My question is, since we discovered the lump in his leg, which he has a level 2 pain almost daily. Could this lump be causing all of the listed things that has been occuring such as the funnel chest, the lump in his neck, and rapid growth to the extent it is causing deformities?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:17 am

User avatar Hello -- I think what you mean is intramuscular hemangioma, which is often confused with soft tissue venous malformations (AVMs). The difference is the hemangiomas, while generally benign, can and do cause pain. They are treatable, but of course the expense becomes an issue and if insurance won't cover it, this could be difficult to pay for, even though treatment is relatively simple.

To answer your question, no, the hamangioma is the cause of the other problems, but rather is probably related to whatever is the underlying cause of the various defects, none of which, on its own, is necessarily dangerous, but collectively could well cause a reduction in quality of life for your son. Most of these things can be treated, but must be addressed separately. Some people just seem to be born with a tendency toward progressive defects like these, and they can, in sum, be a pretty big cause of disability if not corrected. The hemangioma is actually probably one of the least important of the collection of problems, except for the pain it causes. It is also probably the least difficult one to treat.

I hope this is helpful. Please follow up with us here as needed. Good luck to you.
 tarabeas - Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:52 pm

Thank you for the reply, It does help provide information. Just to update on his situation, he recently went in for an EKG and echocardiogram again and was fine.
The cardio Doctor suggests that it is more of a chest wall issue and no apparent signs it is hurting or obstructing his heart function at this time. However; he does have restricted breathing and cannot participate in activities as a 13 year old would normally. We also discovered that two months ago he was 5'6 now two months later he is 5'8 = 2 inches in 2 months. His chest almost looks like it has a buckling inward effect to it. I read information on line and it don't look like it is a life threatening situation by it self.
We are going in for a geneticts test soon as giantizum could be a factor.
The reason why I asked if the two were related some how was because of the increased blood flow causing his femer on that leg to be longer than the other. I thought perhaps it could cause the rapid growth to be happening in other areas as well as it is on the left side. Hemangioma left leg, longer femar bone, scoliosis, now joint pain in his knee and hip with an indentation on the left of chest wall.
Thank you again for your time. I would appriciate any feedback to the growth issue.
I agree the proceedure for the hemangioma was described as a fairly simple one, however; due to our state budget cuts. It seems that insurance will cover diagnosing the problems but will not help to treat it. It is very dissapointing and heartbreaking in that they will help you find out what is wrong but won't help you to treat it. So you have to live knowing what is wrong with you knowing you don't have the money or resources to fix it then stress becomes a factor.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here