Question: Diaphragmatic paralysis after CABG

minjo1980 - Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:08 pm

I unable to go with my father to a recent dr's appt. We were able to get the consultation notes after the appt however I am not able to completely understand them. We would have to make an appt in order to speak with the dr and unfortunatly that could take months. I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me what they are saying is wrong wtih him.

" Patient continues to be short of breath and has been worked up for his diaphragmatic paralysis after CABG. He denies any chest pain however continues to be short of breath. From his last cardiac cath reports he did not have any coronary artery disease and his LIMA to LAD graft was patent however he did still have intamyocardial bridging. His recent stress test showed no evidence of ischemia.

ASSESMENT AND PLAN: Patient with history of intramyocardial bridging of LAD status post CABG with LIMA to LAD graft. He also has right iliac artery stenosis as demonstrated by his last cath for which he is already taking aspirin. At this time I will continue the current medications and no further cardiac intervention is required. He is being discharged from my clinic however can be referred back to me if needed.

Sorry this is so long. Thank you in advance for any help you can give us.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:00 pm

User avatar Dear Minjo,

Shortness of breath has many causes starting with something as simple as being phsyically unfit and ending with something seroius such as heart or lung failure.

Did your father have an echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart) recently? If yes, what was the ejection fraction (how strong the heart contracts) of your father's heart? Does he have diastolic dysfunction which is abnormal relaxation of the left ventricle? The ejection fraction could have been mentioned in the cath report as well. It looks however that his cardiologist (or cardiothoracic surgeon) is 100% convinced that the heart is fine and is not the cause of the shortness of breath to the extent that he is not going to see him again.

Did your father have a lung function test? If not, this could be of value and i would recommend that he has one.

|