News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Gas Related Chest pain

yahwehone - Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:08 am

Mysterios stomach disorder causes gas which affects areas of the body to hurt upon pressure of gas,such as tooth ,elbow,head etc.
Currently it is causing chest pain including both arms.
It flairs up upon walking short distances and i have to sit or stop walking for a few minutes for it to settle down.
upon resume walking it flairs up again.
I've had this disorder for many years.
It caused chest pain once years ago and went to the er. i was given nitro glycerin,and they did a stress test and ekg it was normal. I was told it was gas.
I am currently taking otc simethicone for the gas with minimal results.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:48 pm

User avatar Hello -- While gas definitely can cause the symptoms you describe, the fact the pain is exacerbated by exertion makes it more suspicious than it might otherwise be. Although you once visited an ER with subsequent negative stress test/nuc scan, I'd want a more detailed cardiac workup to rule out some form of occult coronary artery disease or structural abnormality (which could be uncovered by echocardiography) before accepting the "mystery gas problem," which is rarely all that mysterious: Chronic gas such as you may be suffering is often caused by habitual, unwitting swallowing of air. However and once again, the provocation of symptoms by exertion does make them more suspicious, and the fact the first cardio exam was a while ago and not complete would suggest there still may be some heart-related cause that should first be ruled out. This would include the possibility of an odd, but less mysterious coronary artery spasm problem. An angiogram may well be in order.

I hope this helps. Good luck to you and please follow up with us here as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here