Forum Name: Ischemic Heart Disease

Question: Large number of stents

paw paw - Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:17 pm

Hello. Im a 51 yo male with a history of CAD, diabetes, apnea, hypertension ect,ect.
Back in 02 I had two stents placed and all went well until last may when ,as an otr trucker, I had 5 more placed. Symptoms include: Shortness of breath (severe pulmonary edema), Chest pain in in front and back between the shoulder blades and left arm. I could barly walk any distance and couldnt sleep either. With the exelent care I received my hospital stay was short and after consult was told my career was essentialy ended. I have treatment through the VA and the Cardiologists had me do another thalium stress test and found out IAW their findings that I have abt 27% damage to the lower portion of the heart.
Nothing else was done as far as treatment goes except the inclusion of some other
BP meds and was given the green light to attend school for Res tech.
With all that history being moot my question is, Are 7 stents usually an extreem amount in leu of bypass surgery?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:40 pm

User avatar Hello -- Stents are an option available when any one of a long list of things make them preferable to bypass. Multiple stents are becoming more and more common, and in diabetics, in particular, are often seen as preferable to the sometimes slowed healing caused by diabetes. The stents go in, assuming patient is anatomically agreeable, and the job is done without having to worry about tissue healing problems. This is just one of many reasons for this, but given the particular history you have, this number of stents as opposed to bypass is entirely unsurprising, as is the fact there was significant damage to the inferior part of the heart, something which often escapes the awareness of diabetics whereas others would have felt pain and perhaps been seen and had intervention done sooner.

I'd say in your specific case the number of stents isn't excessive, although it is possible you've reached the theoretical limit. This is impossible to say, because it varies with each patient. The important thing is you're doing as well as you are and that you continue to do so.

Good luck to you. Please keep us updated here as needed.

|