News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Chest discomfort/tightness

Shannonatsea - Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:27 pm

I'm new here and figured it was the next best to seeing a Dr. I don't have health insurance at the time and that has kept me from a Dr visit. I havent confided this discomfort to anybody, don't want to worry my children. Here recently I've been experiencing severe chest tightness and discomfort that has even been waking me up at night. I feel as though its difficult to breath or it feels as though I've just ran several miles. Last time I was ill I was told 2yrs ago that my blood pressure was extremely high. Is there anything I can do at home to help diminish this discomfort?? Sometimes I'm almost afraid to go to sleep at night. I'm over weight and decided to enroll with weight watchers in hopes this chest pain will just go away. I'm 41 years old.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:44 am

User avatar Dear Shannon,

To be able to judge whether or not this chest pain might be due to coronary disease, major risk factors for coronary disease and the characterisitics of the chest pain (as compared to those of the chest pain caused by coronary disease) have to be assessed and then the probability of this pain being due to coronary disease is determined.

i am not sure about your major risk factors for coronary disease, what did you do regarding your high blood pressure? Have you ever checked it again?

How about when you do any kind of exercise? How long does the pain usually last? Do you have any other symptoms in addition to the shortness of breath?

The best thing to do is to be checked out by a health care professional for this chest pain the first time you get chest pain.

If you live in a mid-sized or bigger town, most probably there will be some free clinics affiliated with religious organizations, i suggest that you try and find one around.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped and waiting for your update.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here