Forum Name: Cardiology Diagnostics

Question: Understanding my echo

littlelu - Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:59 pm

I have a heart murmer that was heard by my doctor in an office visit. I am a 48 yr old female, post menopausel. A young lady called me from the office and told me the summary of my recent ecko on my heart showed Normal left ventricular systolic function w/ no significant valvular pathology identified. I was happy. She sent me my copy of the test results. Well I noticed that it also said... Trace to Mild Mitral Regurgitation and Tricuspid Regurgitation noted on Doppler Exam. Also, Mild Tricuspid regurgitation is noted with pulmonary artery pressure of 28mm/Hg which is at the UPPER limits of normal. Should I be concerned about those readings? They never mentioned it to me but I read that on the results. I just had a pulmonary function test cause my lungs were mildly aerated and could indicate COPD but haven't heard back on that yet, although the tech thought I did a good job. Could these things be tied together and should I be using a prescription before dental work? Anxious to hear from you.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:42 pm

User avatar Dear LittleLu,

Your echo is normal and there is no need to worry about the trace to mild regurge.

A pulmonary systolic pressure of 28 is normal and there is no need to worry.

High pulmonary pressures could be caused by long standing copd. It would have been long obvious that you have copd before you start having high pulmonary pressures.

There is nothing to worry about.

There is no need to take any antibiotics before dental work.

littlelu - Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:55 am

:P Thank you so much doctor. I am a worrier and didn't want to bother my family doctor unless it was necessary. You have made my mind rest.

|