Question: Hard Heart Beats & Palpitation

SlingXShot - Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:21 pm

Here is the story. Originally I was diagnosed with Long QT when I was like 10, from then on I drank Atenolol usually 50mg a day. In Spring 2004, my doctor asked to stop drinking atenelol, since Long QT was not detected was several years. I stoped, after 2 months, I suddently started having fast/hard heart beat and lots of palpitations. I started taking atenolol again, everything became worse. Like 20 pulpantations a day. I went to the doctor, EKG, they couldn't find anything. Over the summer I figured out how to lower my heart beats and palptations. -- I noticed that I have faster heart beats and more pulpantations when I drink something caffeine or sugar or eat sugar related or fatty foods. Over the months, pulpantations reduced a lot, heart beat slowed down and was not so hard anymore. Then in Sept i went to another doctor, he took my EKG, nothing, he told lets put a monitor, I got the monitor from a company, where they come and put this PDA monitor, and it automatically detects irregular heart beats or I can report them my self. After 2 weeks, after I had all these weird palpitations, and even when I reported manually (it used sattelite to report), the doctor said, there was nothing.

Right now I only have palpitations when I eat something sweet or caffeine. (Thought Diet Pepsi Caffeine Free causes problems, even Caffeine Free coffee causes problems) If I avoid those things and eat healthy foods like vegetables and fruits, meat I seem not to have problems.

Additional Info:
I haven't 100% confirmed from what this happens but usually this is what happens:
Caffeine: Slower, not hard beat, palpintations, rought sounding beat, not clear, like when u sip soda with a straw but the straw is on top of the water, doctors could not detect it, even when I had it.

Sweets/not natural: Faster heart beats, still lower than 100, but very hard, and sometimes palpintations.

Blood pressure: I measured my blood pressure when I have these harder beats, its normal. Usually around 120/and less than 70.

I am 22/m, no allergies.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:09 pm

User avatar Dear Slingxshot,

Is your doctor an electrophysiologist (cardiologist specialized in arrhythmias)?

If not, i suggest that you be seen and followed up by one.

A long qt syndrome is a condition in which dangerous arrhythmias might airse.

You have to be seen by an electrophysiologist to be cleared, to make sure that the long qt syndrome is gone or it still persists.

For the time being, i think you are doing a great job by trying to limit your caffeine intake and any other substance that might cause increase in the palpitations. If you develop palpitations, i advise you to contact your doctor or go to the emergency department to have an electrocardiogram at the time of the palpitation to determine what kind of arrhythmia of you have.

SlingXShot - Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:36 pm

Wouldn't long QT show up in an EKG? They stoped showing up in there completely. Like mid's 90's and before, I had constant long QT, but lowered over time with atenlol, everytime exercised, they got worse, but I believe since 2000 or earlier, long qt was just gone. Thanks
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:53 pm

User avatar Dear Slingxshot,

Long qt appears on the ecg but somtimes it does not and only appears if the patient exercises like you mentioned. Have you had an exercise test to see whether or not your qt interval prolongs or not during exercise? i know you wore a monitor for quite some time but still i think this is better than the monitor.

i can not say whether or not over the time a prolonged qt interval can go back to normal. This question has to be asked to an electrophysiologist.

|