Question: Awakened with shoulder pain

MrsPlumber - Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:06 am

I am 38 year old female and ws just awakened with shoulder pain, but as I repositioned myself, I realized it was my left shoulder/back pain, frontal chest pain (as if through the chest wall), and also my left arm was feeling odd.

My husband massaged my back abit for me and seemed to disapate, the thought of heading to hospital enterened my mind, but the knowledge that I have no insurance quickly shot that thought down again.

I was unable to rest.. now I am at the pc, and I still have the shoulderblade/chest "pinch" for lack of a better word. I sense it in left neck area as well. pinching would be the best description of the sensation.

This happened this yesterday morning as well.

Is this just pinched whatever due to sleeping on my left side?? Or something I should be concerned about?

MrsPlumber
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:50 am

User avatar Dear MrsPlumber,

Females of the child bearing age are naturally protected against coronary disease. You don't have any major risk factors for coronary disease and your chest pain sounds atypical. So, the probability of this pain be due to coronary disease is low.

Other possibilities include
1. Neck problem like you mentioned which can give rise to chest and shoulder pain at the same time.
2. Chest wall problems like inflammation of a muscle or cartilages of the ribs or just a pulled muscle.
3. Even though it does not sound typical of acid reflux disease, sometimes, acid reflux disease can give rise to strange symptoms including chest, neck and back pain.

i recommend that chest pain be evaluated by a health care professional at least once. If you don't have insurance and if you live in a mid sized town, most probably, there will be a free clinic where you can go and be evaluated and they are usually affiliated with hospitals who are affiliated with religious organizations such as churches.

|