Question: Chest discomfort/numbness, radiating to arm and hands

Bianca - Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:31 pm

Just recently, im experiencing this discomfort on my upper left chest at first but it started to bother me when it just keep on going..after 2 days i could feel some tingling/numbing sensation radiating through my hands. Called my doctor about it and he said that i have to go to ER but i stated that i don't believe its pain but insisted i have to go. But i didnt, my friend thats a nurse said she don't think its my heart but neuro now im confused cause i thought at first im having an angina..please help me. I noticed that i feel the sensation when im not busy.
My dad has Hx of HTN and also runs on my mother side
I drink coffee 4x daily

please response
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:17 pm

User avatar Dear Bianca,

Females of the child bearing age are naturally protected against coronary disease. You don't have any major risk factors for coronary disease and the characteristics of your chest pain are atypical as compared to those of chest pain caused by coronary disease.

The probability of this pain being due to coronary disease is very low. So, this is not angina.

Other possibilities include:
1. Heart condition called mitral vavle prolapse that is diganosed by an ultrasound of the heart (echocardiogram) and needs to be followed-up.
2. Neck problem like your nurse friend pointed to.
3. Chest wall problems like muscle spasms, muscle inflammation or cartilage inflammation.
4. Acid reflux disease.

My advice to any person who gets chest pain for the first time is to be evaluated by a health care professional.

Bianca - Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:26 am

Thank you for answering my inquiry...
Today another new signs/symptoms showed up:
This afternoon, It felt like the discomfort went to my Rt. chest and it feel so odd that later in the afternoon, i started feeling it again on my left side.
About later at night i felt soreness/slight enlargement on my left lymph node, suddenly im started feeling the pressure and finally felt that sore. This is really new to me and never felt this weirdness before about whats going on with my body, it felt like im falling into pieces.
Can i just go to a clinic or go straight to ER? and my other problem was i don't have a health insurance is there an advice/option that you could tell me??
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:23 am

User avatar Dear Bianca,

Thank you very much for the update.

With these new symptoms i think you ought to be evaluated.

If you live in a fairly sized town, there could free clinics affiliated with religious origanizations such as churches. Try to find out about these clinics.

i don't think you have to go to the ER, I think a clinical evaluation would do.

|