Question: Chest discomfort in the middle of the chest

pinozo - Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:31 am

I''m a 35 year old male. I smoke 1/2 pack a day (I know I have to quit). for the last 6 years 've run 15k a week and weight train 3-4 times a week. I take multi-vitamins and eat fairly healthy.

About 3 months ago I experienced swelling in the back of my head, just behind both of my ears. It eventually went away after 2-3 weeks. Then about 1 month ago, I woke up one morning not feeling to well. I went outside to clean some snow and then tried to do some weight training. I could not finish the workout as I felt light headed and short of breath. I then experienced a full blown attack of some sort. Symptoms included Chest discomfort, weakness, nausea, dizziness, tingling in arms and legs and shortness of breath.

I went to ER and was their for 3 hours where I received a chest x-ray, 3 Electrocardiograms from ECG, and blood test. I was released as the test came back normal. Doctor beleived I had a Chest spasm.

It has been 1 month and everytime I try and workout all of these symptoms return and it feels like something(heart attack?) will happen. The symptoms are extremely intense and last about 5-10 minutes and subside, but I still generally don't feel well. I have not worked out in 2 weeks now and I still feel tightness in my left chest that runs to my shoulder and upper jaw. At times I do feel tingling in my left arm. I am having trouble sleeping and at times feel anxious.

I went to see my doctor as well who did some general tests like checking my breathing and that he would be concerned if the chest discomfort was in the middle of the chest. He also said since an ECG and chest x-ray were done it should rule out your heart.

I'm not sure what or where to go from here.
Thankyou for your time.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:39 pm

User avatar Dear Pinozo,

You have two major risk factors for coronary disease, being a male and smoking cigarettes. The chest pain that you had has some typical features to it. The probability that this pain be due to coronary disease is intermediate.

i think that a stress test at this point is not something unreasonable to think about, however, i am not sure how you are going to have a meaningful stress test if every time you exercise you develop these symptoms. You could have a chemical stress test but i think it is best to have an treadmill exercise stress test.

These could also be symtoms of a panic attack.

pinozo - Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:16 pm

Thank you for your response.

I will definitely quit the smoking...I really don't like the way I'm feeling especially after weight training. It seems cardio-exercise I can handle, as I play indoor soccer without any problems. Weight training seems to trigger these symptoms.

I've looked into anxiety attacks...I didn't feel any particular stress or anxiety in my life when these symptoms started. However, these symptoms now are adding stress and anxiety to my life.

Did you have any thoughts about the swelling on the back of my head, behind my ears...lymph nodes???

As far as a stress test goes, is it something I should seek through my MD or check into the ER?

Thank you in advance.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:59 pm

User avatar Dear Pinozo,

Thank you very much for the update.

After what you said about playing soccer, there is no need to have a stress test.

i am not sure whether you have tried to lift weights in another environment as in a different gym or did you start to have these symptoms when you went to a new gym?

i can not give any opinion about your head swellings but you have to be seen by your doctor.

Regarding the stress test if you still want to have it, you don't have to go through the er.

pinozo - Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:24 pm

Thanks so much again for the reply.

I constantly have this feeling of what I would describe as if I've pulled something in my left chest\shoulder that runs up towards my jaw.

I have booked an appointment with my doctor for a full checkup.

Because Of these attacks for the time being I am no longer weight training. To answer your question, I've been lifting in the same environment for 5 years now. I seem to be OK running about 2-3 miles, 2-3 times a week, and playing indoor soccer for 1 hour once a week. I am really affected by weights. after about 6 sets I get extremely dizzy like I will pass out, short of breath, rapid heart beat and nausea.

I have to say I feel generally unwell all the time. My attacks seem to be brought on mostly by physical activity.

Thank you.

|