Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: MVP and pregnancy/prophalactic for dental cleaning

pink50 - Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:11 pm

I am a 40 year young, healthy mother( I work at it) of 5 children and 6 months pregnant with my 6th. A year and one half ago I went for a physical and came out diagnosed with MVP with trace regurgitation. An ECG was done to confirm the initial diagnosis. My quandry is that ever since, I have been told that I must take prophalactice anti- biotics to have dental work donei. I do not want to take Anti-biotics unless I absolutely have to. In my 20's I took 3 courses within one year and it took me 5 years to get my body yeast free/painfree and balanced again. I suffered with ongoing yeast problems/vaginal infections.... and I never want to go through that again. I never took anti-biotics since and I am doing great. I get through colds and illnesses without them......My question is this. Do I have to take them for dental work if I only have trace regurgitation......and why all of a sudden, since I have this diagnosis which is symptom free.....must I take antibiotics for teeth cleaning at the dentist when I never did before.....for 40 years.

I have read a little on the subject and there seems to be conflicting points of view on the ammount of regurgitation that thus requires taking anti-biotics for dental cleaning and scaling.

I look forward to your reply.

Honor Murphy [/i]
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:13 pm

User avatar Dear Pink50,

Any degree of mitral regurge warrants prophylaxis for bacterial endocarditis. MItral valve prolpase with mitral regurgitation is a moderate risk for developing bacterial endocarditis.

Regarding dental procedures, if the procedure carries any chance of bleeding (does not make a difference how small the risk is), the patient should receive prophylaxis. Bleeding means that there is an open blood vessel in the mouth cavity (that contains bacteria) and that bacteria can go from the mouth cavity through this open blood vessel to the blood stream to the mitral valve and cause infective endocarditis.

It is a good thing that you did not get infective endocarditis all these years, so i think it is a good thing that you started taking them.

You are at moderate risk of developing infective endocarditis, so, if you need to have any procedure that involves the risk of bactermia, you should receive prophylaxis.

|