Question: Vasovagal or not?

looney - Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:24 am

Dear Doctor,
I am the mother of a 15yr old boy we live in Adelaide Australia. For the past 13mths my son has been suffering with vasovagal syncope it started happening after a knock to the head. It started with unconcious spells once a month for the first 6mths and has now become 2 or 3 times a week for the past 3mths. The cardiologist has done a tilt table test and said he definately is suffering with vasovagal attacks.He also has low blood pressure & supposedly a low heart rate (BRADYCARDIA) he has been taking Florinef which the cardiologist said should slow or stop the episodes. But then he has been taken to a different hospital for observation and they say they are not vasovagal and recommend he has a holter monitor. There reason for saying that is he has no symptoms prior to a collapse apart from feeling tired and when LOC occurs it last for at least 20mins and can be longer, when he comes round he is always dizzy and has a pain from behind the neck that goes right through to his legs. It takes at least 3 to 4 days for him to be able to lift his right leg off the ground and it is icy cold like he has lack of circulation. It is getting to the point now that he is not fully recovered from one episode before another one occurs. He also after the knock to head had an MRI that showed he had a Pineal Gland Cyst of 2cm * 1.8cm that is of no concern to the neurosurgeon he has had 2 follow up MRI & MRA to check blood flow in the brain(when I type brain we mean only the brain) and assess the cyst. we have a Cardiologist, Neurosurgeon, Neurologist & Endocrinologist. Not one of these doctors can tell us what is really going on and we don't want to disbelieve what they say but we have to wonder. He also has been referred to a neurophysc for assessment. He was very nice and said that Rhys was coping well for a boy that doctors can't agree on a diagnosis.
I hope you can recommend something for us to do this is not only effecting his body it is also making him very depressed.

Thank You
Cherryl
 NurseKathryn - Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:07 pm

This is very interesting and I am sorry for your troubles. I would suggest that you let the doctors go with the holter monitor because it can give them more information as to what the heart is doing when your son has one of the episodes. I am sorry that the doctors cannot agree, that is the reason we have so many different specalities. If you are not satisfied with what they tell you, you can always get another opinion.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:20 am

User avatar Dear Cherryl,

A tilt table test is required in your son's case. What did the holter do if it was done?

i think also if your son has not had an eeg so far, it would not be a bad idea to have one.

|