Question: Chest and Jaw pain

wallbreaker - Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:04 pm

Hey all,

Ever since I was a teenager I remember having sharp chest pains. I brought it up to my doctor and he dismissed it without even testing or anything really to set my mind at ease. Anywhoo, now that I am in my mid 20's, I get these crushing chest pains in the middle of my chest and with it comes this pain in my jaw...actually, I am not sure if its in my jaw or if its in my teeth? If that makes sense? It seems to radiate and pulse in my mouth. Am I being paranoid? Is this probably something like heartburn or something?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:57 am

User avatar Dear Wallbreaker,

Females of child bearing age are naturally protected against coronary disease. You don't have any major risk factors for coronary disease and the chest pain is atypical as compared to that of coronary disease.

Obviously, I cannot rule out something as dangerous as a cardiac cause for your chest pain over the internet, but according to your description this chest pain is probably not secondary to coronary disease.

Chest pain could be related to a heart condition called mitral valve prolapse which is diagnosed by ultrasound of the heart (echocardiogram) and needs to be followed.
i would recommend that you have an echocardiogram to exclude this condition.

Other causes include chest wall pain such as muscle spasms and inflammation of the cartilages of the ribs of the chest wall. Acid reflux disease can give rise to chest pain as well. Neck problems can give rise to chest pain as well.

Regarding the jaw pain or the teeth pain, it can be either the cause of the chest pain (i.e. pain originating from the jaw and referred to the chest) or the chest pain could be the cause of the teeth pain (i.e. pain originating from the chest and referred to the jaw). i recommend that you be evaluated by your dentist if not already done.

wallbreaker - Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:42 am

Thank you for your response. I will definitely see my dentist. I have only seen a dentist once because my teeth are good from good genes and I've never had dental problems.

|