News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Diagnostics

Question: 19 with high bloody pressure

maddo - Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:05 pm

Hi, im 19 and apperently i have really high bloody pressure so says a nurse friend of the family, im kinda scared to goto the doctor not.....
and since she said that ive been getting chest pains, tho i may have got them before but just not noticed it... its really freaking me out...
she said it was like 150 or somthing.
but also said it could be normal, i would hate to have to modify my life as i love it and am haveing more fun that i ever have, which is stupid i know, but makes me not want to goto my GP incase it is really bad....
im not sure this is really a question, but i guess im just woundering what some of the likley senarious maybe.

thanks
Regards
Madison Courto.
 emskyle - Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:48 pm

OK, first thing – relax.

My first advice is just that ... relax and think about this logically. Why would you be hypertensive (have high blood pressure), look at the risk factors, hereditary, sedentary lifestyle, smoking, caffeine, stress, diabetes, etc. You’re only 19, that’s a definite plus.

Second, it’s pretty common for someone to take their BP one day and get say 120/80, then take it another day and get 130/90 – and then panic. Your BP fluctuates! It can vary depending on your activity level, position, if you just had a coffee or cigarette, stress level (see ‘white coat syndrome’), etc. It’s normal for it to go up and down, if it’s exactly the same twice in a row, it’s pretty a much a coincidence (obviously within limits!).

You’re considered as being possibly hypertensive if your systolic (the top number) is above 140 and your diastolic (the bottom number) is above 90 (those numbers can vary a bit depending on the source).

As for the chest pains – it’s not unheard of for someone your age to have a heart attack (or some other heart condition) but the odds are definitely in your favor of the pains being something else.

What exactly did you mean when you said you’re having more “fun” than you ever have had so do not want to alter your lifestyle? Seriously, maybe there’s an answer there somewhere.

I recommend that you go see your GP; it’s better if you have a ‘problem’ to know about it, then it can be treated and/or monitored, than to have a problem and not know about it!

Ignorance, denial, and indifference are not words that should be used to describe anyone’s attitude about their health.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:56 pm

User avatar Dear Madison,

To be diagnosed with high blood pressure, you have to have blood pressure readings equal to or higher than the normal limits (140/90) on three different occasions (three different days) during the same week.

It is very rare but not unheared of to have high blood pressure at such a young age, but there is no need to panic as most of the time, it is just a random high reading that does not necessarily reflect the blood pressure all over the 24 hours.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.
 maddo - Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:23 am

I am going to go see my GP some time this week, but i think i was just me stressing out,
i have a bit of a habbit of that.. still get some pains but like there kinda above and to the right of my heart and only hurt when i take deep breaths... but yea maybe me just stressing. I must admit i lead a pritty hard lifstyle. I drink almost every weekend and smoke but not alot, and Do do drugs from time to time i.e. ecstasy, dope and VERY VERY rarely Cocain and speed..

Im sure that and the lack of sleep most of the time plus the added stress of thinking im dieing, might have been why it was so high, but like i say i am going to see my GP....
I will keep you informed of my out come in this post..
and thanks for the advice.
 emskyle - Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:59 am

Madison
I’m sure you have heard this before but I’m going to say it anyway. The drugs you mentioned are dangerous, they will catch up to you and when they do, you will be seeing me (I’m an Advanced Care Paramedic).
Their effects go beyond what you desire.
If you really are concerned about your health - lose the drugs!!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here