Question: Chest pain

enaid7649 - Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:05 am

Hello, recently I have had chest pain. Months ago I would have an occassional stabbing pain that would last a couple seconds, make it hard to breath and go away. My Dr. had noticed a skipping beat and had me wear a monitor and ordered me to have an ultrasound on my heart. Apparently those were normal. I asked the nurse doing my ultrasound what the stabbing pain was and she said perhaps a spasm.

Sometimes I have chest pain when it's in the middle of my upper back, they most of the time go to gether. This time it has been a little over a week.

Months ago when I was having the pain I was also waking up in the middle of the night with sharp pains.

I do also have IBS, and just below the ribs on the left I'll occassionally get what my Dr. calls "trapped air". I can take a deep breath and it sounds like a frog in there. I have this currently with my chest pain and have had other abdominal pains that I am assuming are related to my IBS. Also I was told that I have 2 ulcers, but don't recall them telling me where they were.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you for your time.

I might want to add that with my regular IBS symptoms this time I am having upper abdominal pain, rather sharp.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:32 pm

User avatar Dear enaid7649,

Females of child bearing age are naturally protected against coronary disease unless they have had major risk factors for coronary disease for a while. You don't have any major risk factors for coronary disease and the chest pain is atypical as compared to that of coronary disease. So, the probability that your chest pain be due to coronary disease is very low.

Sometimes, extra beats give this sensation of chest discomfort and patients describe them as chest discomfort and not palpitations.

Having a normal echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart) excludes the presence of a fairly common condition called mitral valve prolapse which is known to cause chest pain and palpitations.

Chest pain can also be caused by acid reflux disease or neck spine problems. i recommend having an x-ray of the neck to exclude neck problems and may be a trial of over the counter antiacids to see whether it is going to make a difference.

enaid7649 - Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:39 pm

Thank you.

I have low back pain working in a factory so it's a good possibility with the upper back and neck. I had strained my shoulder some time back, but that was the words of my work doctor and I have always thought it was more like the middle/spine. I'll check with my doctor.

Thanks again.

|