News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Ischemic Heart Disease

Question: Can you have angina a few months after bypass surgery?

alaskagirl - Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:14 am

I had triple by-pass surgery four months ago. My symptoms were classic but all of my tests, stress tests, nuclear tests, ekgs, echocardiograms, were all normal. Because of the repeated symptoms of angina and chest pain I was given an angiogram that showed three arteries almost totally blocked. The doctor told me that when all of the arteries are blocked the tests look normal. I feel very fortunate to have discovered the blockages and have the surgery.

My question is, can a person continue having angina after successful by-pass surgery? I have had severe pain in my right arm lately and am short of breath walking up stairs again. This makes no sense to me because I just had the by-pass surgery.

I live 350 miles from a cardiologist and hospital. Is it important to have these pains checked out? A trip to Anchorage is expensive and a big deal, however I will make one if it is important.

Thank you for your interest and reply.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:56 pm

User avatar Dear Jackie,

If the chest pain that you have been having after the surgery is similar to the one that you were having before surgery, then it is a must that you see your cardiologist as soon as possible.

If the pain is not the same, i suggest that you call your cardiologist to report the pain and see what are his/her thoughts about this pain.

It is not unexpected to have some chest pain after a surgery that involves opening of the chest by cutting the breast bone and having chest tubes and wires amongst others. If the pain is getting worse or similar even the slightest similarity to the pain that you used to have before surgery, you need to see your cardiologist immediately.

As to your new shortness of breath, i am not sure whether you had your cardiac rehab course completed or not, but it is very helpful to have it completed.

Shortness of breath can be caused by many causes starting from being physically unfit and ending at heart failure. After a bypass, not being physically fit, diaphragmatic paralysis, pleural effusion (fluid around the lung) are potential causes. Recurrence of angina can be a cause as well. i suggest that you contact your doctor (does not have to be your cardiologist) to be seen and examined regarding this new onset shortness of breath.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here