Forum Name: Ischemic Heart Disease

Question: Can you have angina a few months after bypass surgery?

alaskagirl - Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:14 am

I had triple by-pass surgery four months ago. My symptoms were classic but all of my tests, stress tests, nuclear tests, ekgs, echocardiograms, were all normal. Because of the repeated symptoms of angina and chest pain I was given an angiogram that showed three arteries almost totally blocked. The doctor told me that when all of the arteries are blocked the tests look normal. I feel very fortunate to have discovered the blockages and have the surgery.

My question is, can a person continue having angina after successful by-pass surgery? I have had severe pain in my right arm lately and am short of breath walking up stairs again. This makes no sense to me because I just had the by-pass surgery.

I live 350 miles from a cardiologist and hospital. Is it important to have these pains checked out? A trip to Anchorage is expensive and a big deal, however I will make one if it is important.

Thank you for your interest and reply.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:56 pm

User avatar Dear Jackie,

If the chest pain that you have been having after the surgery is similar to the one that you were having before surgery, then it is a must that you see your cardiologist as soon as possible.

If the pain is not the same, i suggest that you call your cardiologist to report the pain and see what are his/her thoughts about this pain.

It is not unexpected to have some chest pain after a surgery that involves opening of the chest by cutting the breast bone and having chest tubes and wires amongst others. If the pain is getting worse or similar even the slightest similarity to the pain that you used to have before surgery, you need to see your cardiologist immediately.

As to your new shortness of breath, i am not sure whether you had your cardiac rehab course completed or not, but it is very helpful to have it completed.

Shortness of breath can be caused by many causes starting from being physically unfit and ending at heart failure. After a bypass, not being physically fit, diaphragmatic paralysis, pleural effusion (fluid around the lung) are potential causes. Recurrence of angina can be a cause as well. i suggest that you contact your doctor (does not have to be your cardiologist) to be seen and examined regarding this new onset shortness of breath.

|