Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: shortness of breath

Tailor_Crawford - Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:32 pm

for a long time i have had to take deep breath more often than others because just regular breathing is not enough. in the past couple of months when i take a deep breath it feels like i didn't get any air sometimes i get a little air but not enough , in the past week i have had a real problem breathing with pain in my chest, i am constantly having to take deep breath and never getting enough air sometime i feel like i need to go to the hospital because i can not breath, when i have a long struggle getting air my whole chest will have pain in it, but most the pain is on the right side after a while the constant pain will be on the right but sharp pains will shoot down the left, i am not sure if one of my right ribs has always been larger because before the pain i have never notinced but my second rib( i think ) has has like a not and is a lot larger from my sternum to about 2 inches over and that is usully where the pain is behind i also have pain in my upper back with the shortness of breath, what should i do?
 Rhonda P, CEP - Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:45 pm

The normal volume of air that flows into the lungs with each inhalation during relaxed breathing is around 6-7ml/kg and the respiratory rate should be around 12-15 a minute during rest. Breathing is an unconscious response for our bodies but if we think about it we can’t breath right. I’m not saying you aren’t breathing right, I’m saying your thinking about it.

What you should do is have a LUNG FUNCTION TEST done where you can see the volume and capacities of your lungs. This will tell you if you have the right amount of air moving in and out and if it is at the right force and rate. You can explain your feeling of not being able to breath and having sharp pains to the Physician. Also point out the notch in your rib near your sternum. At your age you shouldn’t be having pains like this and they should be checked out.
 babyblues - Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:07 am

hi i have been suffering with shortness of breath for the past few days and its becomming continuasly now,and it also makes my hands go tingly.can you please explain what this is thanks

|