News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: shortness of breath

Tailor_Crawford - Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:32 pm

for a long time i have had to take deep breath more often than others because just regular breathing is not enough. in the past couple of months when i take a deep breath it feels like i didn't get any air sometimes i get a little air but not enough , in the past week i have had a real problem breathing with pain in my chest, i am constantly having to take deep breath and never getting enough air sometime i feel like i need to go to the hospital because i can not breath, when i have a long struggle getting air my whole chest will have pain in it, but most the pain is on the right side after a while the constant pain will be on the right but sharp pains will shoot down the left, i am not sure if one of my right ribs has always been larger because before the pain i have never notinced but my second rib( i think ) has has like a not and is a lot larger from my sternum to about 2 inches over and that is usully where the pain is behind i also have pain in my upper back with the shortness of breath, what should i do?
 Rhonda P, CEP - Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:45 pm

User avatar Hello,

The normal volume of air that flows into the lungs with each inhalation during relaxed breathing is around 6-7ml/kg and the respiratory rate should be around 12-15 a minute during rest. Breathing is an unconscious response for our bodies but if we think about it we can’t breath right. I’m not saying you aren’t breathing right, I’m saying your thinking about it.

What you should do is have a LUNG FUNCTION TEST done where you can see the volume and capacities of your lungs. This will tell you if you have the right amount of air moving in and out and if it is at the right force and rate. You can explain your feeling of not being able to breath and having sharp pains to the Physician. Also point out the notch in your rib near your sternum. At your age you shouldn’t be having pains like this and they should be checked out.
 babyblues - Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:07 am

hi i have been suffering with shortness of breath for the past few days and its becomming continuasly now,and it also makes my hands go tingly.can you please explain what this is thanks

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here