Forum Name: Ischemic Heart Disease

Question: Chest pain in women

vanessabucca - Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:50 pm

For a while now, I had been having chest pains, that radiate to my arms and to the left center of my chest. I have been going to the hospital, which to say they keep me all the time. They always tell me nothing. The last event was in Novemebr of 2004. I was on my way to Iowa to visit a sick cousin in the hospital and the whole entiire time I had what felt like reflex. So, I try and doctor myself with gavsicon, to no avail. When I retunred home the next day, I went to the ER, my second home. They fussed as usual and put leads and did the whole cardiac blood work up. They were even giving me nitro. At some point the nurse asked how I was feeling, and I lied and told her that I was no longer in pain, but I was srill having them. Since that was the only way to get up into a room, instead of in the ER department all night.

I am too young for this heart stuff and maybe this chest pain is all in my head. Well, to make a long story short, I had to get a opertive report to send to my insurance company, and they gave me more info that I needed. So I read these papers, and started to worry. Now I'm here to see if this stuff is all in my head. The chest pain always happens when I either have a flutter, and or funny skipped beats to my hearts. Then all the pain seems to stay or linger for a few days coming off and on and on. Better if I take the nitro. I am trying to ingore it, but it continues anyway.

Anyway, my test says:
serial troponins .010
Elevated Ck1 Mild centric LVH and trace mitral and tricuspid regurgitation.
Pulmonary artery pressure was at the upper limits of normal and equal to 29.
Hyperglycemia at 117
PTT 25.6
PT 11.1
INR 1.0Platelets 267
total bili 0.1
alk phos 84
AST 19,
Total Cholesterol 168, Triglycerides 134, HDL cholesterol 35, and LDL colesterol 106 CK# 1 was elevated at 420..

Now I know my doctor is not in the room, however, with what I have provided, should I take the chest pains more seriously. Or is it all in my head. I have been having chest pains and dizziness since friday night of this past week end, all since the flutters and skipped beats... After all I'm only fourty, so, I guess I can answer this myself.

Thank you.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:30 pm

User avatar Dear Vanessa,

You are fairly young (and females in the child bearing age are naturally protected against coronary disease), you have 2 major risk factors for coronary disease, hypertension and smoking. Your chest pain is not typical as compared to that of coronary disease. The probability that this chest pain be due to coronary disease is low. This means that if a stress test is done, most probably it is going to be normal.

Many patients can not describe the feeling of having extra-beats (flutter or skipped beats as you referred to them) so they refer to it as chest pain or discomfort. This could be the cause of chest pain in your case. i recommend that you have a 24 hour heart monitor if not already done to see how much of these skipped beats you have because if they are the cause of this chest discomfort, there are medications that you can take for both the hypertension and the palpitations at the same time. You are taking lasix which can make the potassium lower, and lisinopril which can make the potassium higher, i recommend that you have an electrolyte blood test including magnesium as well to make sure that abnormal potassium level is not behind the palpitations.

With your history of Nissen fundoplication, the pain that you have might be related to this problem as well, recurrence of the hiatal hernia or acid reflus disease. i recommend that you try an over the counter anti-acid to see whether it is going to help.

|