Question: Numb right leg and cheek -- is this cardiac?

nomadfamily - Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:20 pm

My wife has a partial numb right thigh and right cheek for 3 days. After 4 useless hours in the emergency room she was told that they had no idea what was wrong and there was nothing they do could do for now.

I am not sure if these are cardiac symptoms but it is very hard to diagnose.

What should we be asking for? Should we even focus on cardiac symptoms?

She is 43+ and has no other significant health conditions except being overweight.

Please help
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:30 pm

Hello, nomadfamily,

The symptoms you describe are not usually associated with a cardiac event. If a person has had a long history of cardiac disease, the entire circulatory system can be affected, with pains in the extremities, but this doesn't appear to be the case with your wife. Your name, nomadfamily, suggests you may not have a regular family physician. However, your wife should see a doctor for a complete physical examination. Her symptoms could be related to a circulatory disorder, such as a deep vein varicosity. Is the temperature of her leg increased or decreased compared to her other leg? Has she had pregnancies? Does she have a regular exercise program, such a daily walks? Is her lifestyle sedentary or active? How much overweight is she? All of these factors must be taken into consideration, and would be evaluated in a complete physical examination, as suggested. Early intervention is the best key to successful treatment, so I urge her to see a doctor at the earliest opportunity. I hope this is helpful to you.

Good luck to you both.

|