Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Can mitral valve prolapse go away?

puravida - Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:15 pm

At the age of 13 I was diagnosed with Mitral valve prolapse after a heart catherization. I had had a heart murmur since birth and the pediatrician felt my heart sounded a bit hyperactive at my annual physical so he referred me to a cardiologist. The cardiologist did an EKG and echo and from the sounds of my heart suspected that i might have a hole in my heart. He did a heart catherization and found no hole, but MVP. I have had no symptoms, yet have followed up with a cardiologist every 3 years as recommended and take antibiotics when going to the dentist. Over the years it has been described mostly as without insufficiency or with very slight insufficiency.

I am now 33 years old. Several years ago when I saw the cardiologist he said he could barely detect the MVP and would almost recommend that I not take the antibiotics, but to go ahead and continue to do so.

My insurance has changed and last week I saw a new cardiologist for my regular followup. He seemed extremely knowledgeable and in fact had had surgery for MVP himself. After an EKG and echo, he said he saw no signs of MVP, and that I should not take the antibiotics, and do not need to come back for any followup appointments unless some kind of symptoms appear.

After so many years of being told how important is was to take the antiobiotics, I am a bit uncomfortable just stopping and never going back for a followup, but I certainly don't want to take unnecessary antibiotics either.

Can MVP go away, even if it was detected by a heart catherization? Any advice you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks!
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:20 pm

User avatar Dear Puravida,

Everything is possible, but i never heard of mitral valve prolapse that went away.

My explanation is that you have very mild mitral valve prolapse and that if the echocardiogram technician that did your last echocardiography was less experienced then it is a possibility that he missed your very mild prolapse. Another possibility is that sometimes if the patient is dehydrated, the prolapse sometimes is not detected.

Antibiotic prophylaxis is given to patients who have mitral regurge (whether detected by physical examination or by echo), if you don't have mitral regurge then no need for antibiotic prophylaxis.

Not being seen again by a cardiologist means that your condition doesn't need to be followed up by a specialist but does not mean that you should not be followed up by any doctor. So, i suggest that you be followed up by your primary care provider or family doctor, an echocardiogram every 3 years is not unreasonable or as often as your primary care physician sees fit.

|