News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Clots & Anticoagulants

Question: small soft lump right calf

alrunning - Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:22 pm

..I am 37 years old male and I have been running a lot the last few months due to training for boot camp and I have noticed a small (size of quarter) about 6 inches from my ankle, should I worry about it? It is not painful
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:32 am

User avatar Hi,
Your description seems to suggest a discreet swelling. As you have not mentioned the exact location of the swelling, let me list some of the possibilities.
- an organized clot (bleeding from a partially torn muscle). Initially painful, but persists after the pain is gone.
- a muscle hernia (this happens when the deep fascia overlying a muscle gets torn and the muscle protrudes through the defect)
- a soft tissue tumor.
You should consult a doctor and obtain an opinion & refrain from ignoring it just because it is painless.
Best wishes!
 alrunning - Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:50 pm

...its seems to go away after a stretch.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:32 pm

User avatar Hi,
Thank u for the update. Muscle hernias tend to become less prominent on stretching the involved muscle and are seen more prominently upon contracting the muscle.Consult your doctor for a first hand look. Good day!
 alrunning - Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:14 am

..thank you for your help. I had spoke with a friend of who is also a athletic trainer for a college, I showed it to him he seems to agree with you. NO pain NO bruising seems to go away after streching ofcourse comes back while running he said he sees all the time some times it turns into something that may need med attention but most of the time its not that bad.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:39 pm

User avatar Hi,
Thank you for keeping us informed. I hope you will get better with some physio. good luck!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here