Question: Questions about Heart Palpitations

fth - Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:47 pm

I would appreciate some advice on recent odd palpitations I have experienced. I have been reading alot of information online but of course would like a professional opinion.
Since Oct 2004 I have had a number of palpitations -- events where it felt like my heart was fluttering with a loss of breath. On average I have noticed them about once a week. Lately though in the past 2 days I have noticed 4 seperate events that last for about 5 seconds each. In November I had an EKG, Exercise Stress, Blood test (for over/under tyhroid) and 24 holter monitor. Sadly the day I had the holter I experinced none of these palpitations.

1. I was wondering if this could be some sort of arrythmia? I am worried as well since I have had chest pain which of course is atypical since it does NOT accompany these palpitations or exercise. I am male, 22 years old 132 lbs and 5'8, in pretty good physical shape.

2. Also, do you think I should go back to get additional tests done, perhaps a Echo looking for MVP?

I had an Echo done when I was 18 but the doctor did not find anything wrong. (This test was preformed since I encountered jaw and throat pain whenever I was extremely active in cold weather -- and still do today, perhaps exercise induced asthma).

I appreciate your response and have learnt much going through this forum recently.

Thanks alot,

fth
 Bernadette - Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:47 pm

Heart palpatations like yours ,which come and go are often difficult to daignose.As you said,you didn'thave them when you wore the Holter Monitor.Since they have continued,and you also have some type of chest pain,you really need to have them re-evaluated.You should talk to your primary care physician.Further tests are certainly in order.As you suggested,mitral valve prolapse is one possibility.You can ask about seeing a cardiologist for an evaluation.Meanwhile try to eliminate caffeine from your diet.,as it can contribute to palpatations in sensitive people.I am a nurse and I have had problems with palpatations myself.Persue this with your doctor until you have an answer and peace of mind.Good Luck,Bernadette

|