Forum Name: Ischemic Heart Disease

Question: Heart Disease Symptoms and tests

lis_babe - Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:32 pm

I have suffered for about four years with reoccuring left arm pain. The lower portion of my arm and my hand goes numb and this is accompanied my a pressing pain in my upper arm.
Although this is not associated with any chest pain, it is sometimes accompanied by an uneasy sensation in my chest and shortness of breath.. This does not seem to depend on any form of exersion but is sometimes triggered by very smokey conditions and i was a former smoker of 30 a day. I was able to ignore these symptoms until last year when i was shopping and felt a very sudden jumping heartbeat which lasted for about thirty seconds and then disappeared and since then i have had continuous missed beats and a flip flop feeling in my chest which is accompanied by a dizzy and disorientated feeling as if i have gona outside with flu.. My Doctor ordered a Holter monitoring test which showed only pvcs and pabs. On a cardiologists examination incomplete right bundle brach block was discovered but other than that all was well. My Cholesterol is normal, as is my blood pressure and i have had thorough blood tests all of which were normal. I have also had a stress test, echocardiogram and an ultrafast EBT test which showed a calcium score of 1. I have no exceptional family history of heart disease although my mother has angina at 53.
I am only 24 but also have other circulation problems such as varicose veins and raynaud's.
I was wondering if ALL of these tests could be missing something or whether it is possible that all of these symptoms are unconnected to eachother. Any feedback would be very useful.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat May 21, 2005 8:47 am

User avatar Dear lis_babe,

If your mother has proven angina at 53 years of age then you have positive family history of coronary disease.

Otherwise, you don't have any major risk factor and since your symptoms are atypical as compared to those of coronary disease, the probabality that these symptoms be due to coronary disease is very low to begin with even before the tests. Since you had all these tests that came back negative, then these symptoms are definitely not due to coronary disease.

From your symptoms, i suggest that you have your neck spine evaluated.

|