Forum Name: Cardiology Diagnostics

Question: HDL Cholesterol

starrerfende - Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:03 pm

Hey, my husband had some blood work done at work for insurance and he got a paper today that said he was at high risk. His HDL cholesterol level is 33. Is this dangerous and what should he do about it? Does he need to go to the doctor or just change his eating habits? Thanks
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:41 am

User avatar Hi starrerfende,
Although lab ranges differ depending on the lab used, if the report stated high risk it's likely because the HDL "good cholesterol" levels are too low. Probably the rest of the report would show a high LDL and total cholesterol level. It is advisable to decrease the intake of fat (saturated fats) and increase exercise which will in turn increase HDL levels and decrease the overall "bad cholesterol". I hope that makes sense and the information is helpful.
 starrerfende - Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:38 pm

Hey thanks for the reply. His other levels where normal so does he still need to do the things you said or something else? Thanks
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:10 pm

User avatar Hi starrerfende,
I'm a little surprised the other levels were normal. However, exercise (for example, walking) would be of great benefit to him and would raise his HDL to normal levels.

|