News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Help me interpret this one from 2d echo.

kyutguy522 - Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:28 pm

The anterior mitral valve is thickened, redundant, and prolapses slightly into the LA during systole. the posterior mitral valve leaflet is structurally normal. (anterior mitral valve prolapse)

is this condition severe? can anyone help? some says it is common and can be avoided through exercise (running, jogging, walking, etc)

im gino and 22 years old. just worried bout this..

thanks for your help...
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:45 pm

User avatar Dear Gino,

Why did you have the echocardiogram to begin with? Was it for palpitations or for other reasons?

MItral valve prolapse is a fairly common condition and from the description of the echocardiogram, the case is very mild.

You have to be followed every 3-5 years.

You did not mention any mitral regurge or insufficiency on the echocardiogram, so, i will assume that there was none. If there was mitral regurge/insufficiency, you should take antibiotics before any dental work and before some procedures. If there is mitral regurge, you should make sure to tell any doctor you go to about it.

It can not be avoided. It is a congenital condition. Persons are born with it.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.
 kyutguy522 - Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:57 am

Thank GOD ive found this site.. this surely help me a lot thanks to all the doctors spending thier time just to listen or answer our questions.

Hi Dr. Yasser
I did not include anymore other conclusion in the 2d echo because my doctor only concentrate on that part. my doc says i have to go with a 2d echo and go back after the results.so what you mean to the one i post was all normal?

i always had a feeling of being nervous when im on a siiting or standing place. it will just come out and start to get worried but not most of the time (about 3-5 seconds then it will go away). is this normal with the caffeine in the coffee? some says coffee make someone nervous.

my doctor says i also have some kind of acid (is it hyperacidity or acidic?) every time i eat my lower chest (above belly buttom) hurts. it feels like my food wont digest easily. ive no longer experiencing palpitation, the last was my second time and that was march 18 and the first i experience it was february 15 and just ignored it.

few months ago last July 2004 ive started drinking coffee and smoking during office break and i admit im lack of exercise and my work job is just sitting infront of a computer doing surfing on the net (thats only my job for the newspaper) after my work i don't sleep early, just watch DVD movies until past midnight.

maybe this was the caused of having palpitation and being stress everyday..

thanks for the time reading this.
godbless

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here