News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Clots & Anticoagulants

Question: Is 100mg of asprin a day good for you?

cinders - Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:04 am

I take a 1/4 of a 400mg asprin tablet a day, is this good for me?
I know asprin thins the blood slightly and has some positive effects on the body?
But is it good for a 27 year old healthy(ish) male?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:49 am

User avatar Hi cinders,
Aspirin usage may benefit people with coronary artery disease, people who have had heart attacks, angina, bypass surgery, etc. The usual recommended dosage is 81mg per day (a simple baby aspirin). However also keep in mind that this medication stops the blood from clotting as quickly as usual. It is also effective for pain relief in larger doses (325mg etc.) Do you have risk factors for heart disease? I'm not saying that a small dose of aspirin will cause any problems but they are usually taken by people for pain relief or who have high risk factors for heart disease.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 cinders - Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:58 am

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I have no health problems that I know about.

I see your point about clotting however, if asprin reduces blood clotting I think maybe it's best I stop taking it.

Cinders.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here