Forum Name: Clots & Anticoagulants

Question: Is 100mg of asprin a day good for you?

cinders - Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:04 am

I take a 1/4 of a 400mg asprin tablet a day, is this good for me?
I know asprin thins the blood slightly and has some positive effects on the body?
But is it good for a 27 year old healthy(ish) male?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:49 am

User avatar Hi cinders,
Aspirin usage may benefit people with coronary artery disease, people who have had heart attacks, angina, bypass surgery, etc. The usual recommended dosage is 81mg per day (a simple baby aspirin). However also keep in mind that this medication stops the blood from clotting as quickly as usual. It is also effective for pain relief in larger doses (325mg etc.) Do you have risk factors for heart disease? I'm not saying that a small dose of aspirin will cause any problems but they are usually taken by people for pain relief or who have high risk factors for heart disease.
 cinders - Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:58 am

Thanks for the reply. I have no health problems that I know about.

I see your point about clotting however, if asprin reduces blood clotting I think maybe it's best I stop taking it.

Cinders.