Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: worried

jessye25 - Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:42 pm

ok my friends have been passing eachother out everywhere don't worry not me. what they do is the person who wants to be passed out leans over and breathes deeply for 10 seconds then comes up and someone holds there neck really tight tell they fall. the thing is my parents told me to get information on this but i cant find it anywhere. how dangerous is this im 13 they are to and im scared that its bad for them. i think one of my friends really like doing this cause she has this huge hole in her back from hitting a bedside table from falling over from passing out. but she still does it in-between classes in the bathroom. anywhere she can. please help! and hurry!
 Rhonda P, CEP - Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:10 pm

User avatar Hello Jessye25,

You are the smartest person amongst your friends!! What they are doing is shutting off the oxygen to their brain and building pressure up in the blood vessels inside the skull.

Our brains fit perfectly inside our skull, it doesn’t have any room to swell up from increased pressure caused from blood. THEY COULD DIE FROM THIS OR BECOME CRIPPLED FOR LIFE!

Please tell your friends this - Blood brings oxygen to your brain which it needs to stay alive. Brain cells are extremely sensitive to oxygen and can become permanently damaged or die from the lack of it. The other thing you can do is cause a blood clot to form and you will have a stroke, the kind you see elderly people with when they don’t have control over half of their body. Their mouth droops, they can’t close one eye and they can’t move their arm and leg. This can be a permanent thing, something you may have to live with for the rest of your life. WORSE YET, you could DIE from causing your brain to start bleeding because of pressure build-up! Brain injuries are VERY SERIOUS; people die from them every single day. It can cause a severe headaches, numbness or weakness in your face, paralysis on one whole side of your body, loss of your ability to speak, sudden confusion, trouble understanding, trouble seeing in one or both eyes, trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination, seizures, loss of bladder and bowels, unconsciousness, coma, stroke, bleeding within your brain, and death. Please tell your friends not to do this, it seems fun but your brain is a very delicate organ and it can’t handle being without oxygen.
 jessye25 - Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:09 pm

thank you soo much for that i have told them that but the thing is... is that they do not care about it they think that since someone is always watching them they won't get hurt or die. because they wake eachother up after a couple of seconds. but thank you sooo much for that information because i'm sure it will help me more along the way.
 Rhonda P, CEP - Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:55 pm

User avatar Hello Jessye25,

A blood clot inside the brain can’t be seen or stopped. Just because they wake the person up or watch them closely doesn’t mean they can prevent any damage inside that persons head. The damage that is being done is unseen and unknown until it’s too late. Please, do you have a Counselor or Teacher you can talk to about the danger of this practice? You need to bring it to the attention of an adult, you may be saving the life of your best friend.

|