News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: I am having palpitations for last 1 month

adeel1000 - Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:30 pm

Hi,

I am diagnosed with mild MVP with only trace of regurgitation, 2 months ago.
I am having palpitations since last month specially when i lay down. My cardiologist has given me TOPROL-XL 25mg which has slowed my heart rate but has done nothing to my palpitations, then he did a holter monitor test last week which was normal though i experienced palpitations a lot during that test.

My tests are normal but why iam not geting rid of these palpitations.
My cardio said you are jest feeling your heart beat.

If you could help me please.

Regards
Adeel
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed May 18, 2005 6:28 pm

User avatar Dear Adeel,

i think your doctor might be right.

What do you mean by palpitations? Please, describe what you feel to me. With the holter, when you felt the palpitations, there was a button that you should have pushed, did you push it? What did the holter show then?

To decrease the palpitations in cases of mitral valve prolapse, it is better to always eat small frequent meals especially if you notice the palpitations after meals and have enough rest.

To decrease the palpitations in genenral, no smoking, no alcohol, enough sleep and rest and no caffeine (coffee, tea, pop, etc...).

Also, if not already done, it is recommended to have blood tests for electrolytes and thyroid functions.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here