Forum Name: Ischemic Heart Disease

Question: pain in chest

paul1612001 - Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:47 pm

Im 25 years of age male ex smoker, for the last eight weeks I been having a pain on and off which usually Starts in upper chest/back area and shots down to my hand it fells like pin and needles it stays with me of about two minutes and then disappears and get the feeling about once every day
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:18 am

DearPaul1612002,

how long have you been smoking? I suggest you go see a cardiologist...get yourself checked...ask them for Ecg and stress ECG test...just to make sure you're not developing Angina (Ischaemic heart disease)..because this is a typical anginal pain... you can modify your life style and get started on some medications ...this way u won't get worse?ok?

This can be anxiety as well, so we have to make sure that it's not the heart,ok?

which college do you go to? and do you work? does any of your family complains about heart diseases? are you obese? how much do you weigh and how tall are you? are you hypertensive or have diabetes?

paul1612001 - Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:18 pm

Thanks for your email I have in the pasted suffered from difficulty swallowing due to anxiety.
With regarded to your questions
At the moment I work full time
I weigh about 12 stone,
I am just over 6 foot tall,
I do not suffer from diabetes.
I will book an appointment with my doctor just to be on the safe side.
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:42 pm

Good luck!:-)
keep me updated
best regards,
 islammmi - Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:39 pm

I agree with Dr.Wafa.. that you have to check yourself with Treadmill stress ECG ... although that your complaint is not a typical for coronary artery disease .. as your chest pain lasts for 2 minutes .. and this is not oftenly found in ischemic patients in whom chese pain lasts for at least 5 to 10 minutes..
however,, stress ECG in your case will be important to exclude ischemic origin of chest pain ..
 paul1612001 - Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:50 pm

Sorry about the late reply.
About to two days after making my post on this forum. I was taken into hospital with difficulty breathing and chest pain. They gave be an ECG test and took blood.
They could find nothing wrong with me so they sent me home. A couple of days later I was taken back into hospital with the same problem, They gave me an ECG test took some blood and found nothing wrong again.
The doctor who checked me out, thinks it could have been a panic attack.
I still have the symptoms today but if I relax or if I a lot of exercise they disappear and some days I am fine. I usually get the symptoms when I get a little stressed
 Dr G - Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:01 pm

Dear:
1.what about the pain.....doese it increase by breathing .
2.it appear after working .... or having any physical stress.
3.do you have couph ? is it productive.
4. any fever?
5.if you move your hand or move your chest doese the pain appear.
6.if you press on the site of the pain ... is there any change ?
7. is there any relation with the meals.

Best regards
=========================
Dr.G
 paul1612001 - Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:40 pm

Thanks for you reply the pain seems to stay of about 30 seconds, then disappears I might get this felling about twice a day .I usually get no pain when I do Physical exercise. the pain is random.
I do have cough its non productive sometimes difficulty swallowing as well.
I also have a temperature which comes back now and again.
I never press on the site of pain because it usually takes be my surprise and it like a moving pain.
The difficulty which I get breathing feels like my chest is hollow.
The two times I had difficulty breathing was once after a meal and once when I started to lath.
My symptoms ove the last three weeks seem to be improving.
 Dr G - Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:45 pm

Dear:

1.I had to ask you to press on the site of the pain ( even if it is absent) and see if there is pain.

2.do you have a sweeting and fever at night , what about any contagious cases in your home or in work .

3. are you happy in your life , married ?, what about your job ... are you happy in it ( or in your study).

4. the pain is related to eating or not ? does it appear after eating when you lie down.

with my Regadrs
 paul1612001 - Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:00 pm

When I press on the site of pain I get no extra pain.
Most nights I sleep fine with no fever.
My life could be better, I also dislike my job I fine it stressful.
The pain is not related to eating or lying down its random
I am not aware of any contagious cases in work or at home.
What do you think the problem is?
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:29 am

Dear Paul,
I am sorry to hear that you had to go to the hospital... Have you stressed that you've been having this attack frequently and requested a Stress ECG test...this can solve your problems and be at ease from the ghost that's haunting you about having a heart disease....It can really be pure anxiety/stress.

I am glad you're feeling better though:-)

paul1612001 - Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:09 pm

Thanks for you reply
I book an appointment to see my doctor,
I never seem to get chest pain or any unusual shortness of breath when I do exercise. On most weekends I do a 60 mile bike ride. I also cycle about 6 miles every day to and from work.
When I feel an attack coming on I try to relax and then don't seem so strong as they us to be. When I first had my attacks they where so strong i thought i was going to die.
 paul1612001 - Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:06 pm

I visited my doctor, I told her about the symptoms that I been having, she listened to my heart and took my blood pressure. and said I was fine.and not to worry.
 zac attack - Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:12 am

Hello, i am a student at hills road sixth form college in cambridge, and am currently doing a biology coursework about coronary heart disease. My ambitions is to one day be a qualified doctor working at addenbrooke's hospital. I need information specifically from a cardiologist. The title to the work is "Coronary Heart Disease - Is it anyone's fault". If any one has any relevant information about the disease and its symptoms it would be widely appreciated thankyou,
zac attack
 needinghelp - Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:11 pm

21 yr old woman about 40lb overweight non-smoker with pain that feels like directly in the heart like a cramp and worsens when taking in air had it for years but now happens even at rest for maybe 1-5 min at a time a few times a week with left arm and neck pain that sometimes radiates to upper back. sometimes dizzy. no high blood pressure, but father has heart disease and high blood pressure and diabetes. thanks so much for the time.
 oldnavy - Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:01 pm

i am not sure what wrong with me. i had two stents put on my coronary arteries, L & R. after my second stent, I still continued to have chest pain, most of time on my right chest, shortened of breath, have gas, sharp pain, like some wire stick inside my chest, all these sympton happen in the morning, sometimes mid-day and the evening after eat dinner. I do excercise 4 times a week. I am ex-smoker, quited 5 years ago, i am 44 years old asian-american. i am prevacid, plaxvic, lipitor, asprin, diovan, atenola.. please give some advise on what doctor should I to see on my problem..

thanks in advance..
 ACTN - Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:10 pm

I am a 29 y/o white male. I'm 5'10 234lbs. My weight fluctuates from summer to winter from 200-230lbs.
I eat what I want, but I excersise by walking 4-6 miles 3-4 times a week.In Summer I walk 8- 10 miles a day, six days a week scouting cotton. I still drink like I am in college of binge drinking 2 or 3 nights a week. These are the only times I smoke. i had an ultrasound in Spr. 2004 which revealed an enlarged liver.

I have noticed of late that i have a weak tightness in my chest, and sometimes have small, brief aches around my diaphragm and lower shoulders. I have a belly, and when I sit up straight it is uncomfortable and the pressure on my chest increases. i feel fine when I walk, but am sometimes very fatigued later on. i have been more tired and irritable as of late also.-Thanks for volunteering your time.

The only other family history is I found the other day my grandfather has a bicuspid heart valve.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:41 am

User avatar Dear Needinghelp,

Given the risk factors that you have or the lack thereof and the characteristics of your chest pain, the probability that your chest pain is related to coronary disease (the number one feared cause of chest pain) is very low. Your chest pain, given its characteristics can be caused by:
- Neck problems.
- Acid reflux disease (heart burn).
- Anxiety.

This being said, however, there is a cause of chest pain that one should always think of when it comes to chest pain in the younger age patient population and that is a heart condition called mitral valve prolapse and it causes atypical chest pain and palpitations amongst other symptoms. It just needs to be followed up.

Please, ask your doctor about having a neck spine x-ray or even a ct scan if he/she thinks it is reasonable and to have a trial of antacids in addition to the usual measures to prevent or lower the incidence of heart burn such as not eating before going to bed, a minimal intake of caffeine (including chocolate and pop) and avoiding any food that would cause you to heart burn.

When it comes to mitral valve prolapse, an echocardiography (an ultrasound of the heart) can be diagnostic, again if your doctor thinks it is reasonable to have it done.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and I hope that this information helped.

Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:10 pm

User avatar Dear Oldnavy,

If the right sided chest pain that you feel has the same characterisitics as the chest pain that you used to have before you had the 2 stents put in, i would recommend that you see your cardiologist about this chest pain, because this could be a new coronary problem that needs to be taken care of.

If this a different chest pain, then from the characteristics of your chest pain, it could be related to:
- Acid reflux disease.
- Gall bladder problem.
- Lung problem (given your history of smoking).
- Neck spine problem.

You are already taking prevacid, i am not sure what is the dose that you are taking and whether it can be increased or not. But there are a few measures that are usually helpful like not eating or drinking immediately before bed time, less fatty foods, less caffeinated products such as coffee, chocolate, tea and pop.

You can go to your regular doctor first and ask him about an ultrasound of the abdomen to detect gall bladder problems. A chest x-ray is in order to detect any chest/lung abnormality. A neck spine x-ray might be helpful in detecting neck spine arthritis.

Also, if you can find a correlation between any particular type of food or beverage and your symptoms and try to avoid this particular type of food or beverage.

Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:52 pm

User avatar Dear actn,

You have some risk factors for coronary disease, namely being a male, a smoker, you drink and are overweight. But you are young, not diabetic, not hypertensive and you exercise regularly. It does not look that you have a family history for coronary disease and your cholesterol profile is unknown.

Your chest pain is very atypical when it is compared to the pain caused by coronary disease.

The probability that your pain be caused by coronary disease is very low.

i can not tell you for sure what is causing your pain, but i strongly advise you to stop smoking and drinking (especially that you have an enlarged liver) and continue your exercise program.

At your age, atypical chest pain can be caused by a condition called mitral valve prolapse, which is an abnormality of the mitral valve of the heart, can be easily diagnosed or ruled out by an echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart) and just needs to be watched.

When it comes to being tired, i suggest you have your blood count, liver functions (because of your history of having an enlarged liver) and a thyroid profile.

Because you are overweight, if you have symptoms suggestive of a condition called sleep apnea such as snoring, restless legs while asleep, someone thought that you might stop breathing while asleep, feeling not refreshed when you wake in the morning, feeling sleepy all day long and might dose off when you are doing something important like driving or talking to someone or eating, then i would strongly suggest that you talk to your doctor about it and if he/she thinks that it is indicated, for you to have a sleep study.

drsrk - Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:57 pm

Wafaa Abdel-Hadi wrote:Good luck!:-)
keep me updated
best regards,

hi
please stop smoking. even if ur heart is normal now it will develop problems if u continue to smoke. preventing disease is more important and more easy that curing disease
sanjay
 mz123 - Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:03 am

I hope this is how you post a question but i was taking phentermine,a diet pill, for a little over a year and have been off it for 1 1/2yrs. I keep getting a heart flutter or chest pain on the left side, some back pain. Is this related to possibly pph from the drug? I checked mydself into the emergency room 2 times and was ok and even went to a cardiologist and he ran an ekg, felt my legs for circulation, and lestened to my heart and lungs and said I was ok, but I keep getting these pains and a very weird heart flutter. What could this be? Could it be pph? Or could it be related to birth control pills? Please help because I keep thinking I am having serious heart problems and I am only 24yrs old, 5'5, 117lbs, and very active. Please help
 dragon - Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:17 am

I am 48 ,female, I have had a st judes mitral valve and 4xby-pass 2 years ago, last year I had subclavien and carotid bypasses due to sc steal.I have appx 21 stents in me , from my femoral,illiac to my heart (4).
My family has history of early severe arteriosclerosis and death and severe MVP, ,grandfather aunt and father, uncle etc...high homocysteins, and folic acid problems.
I am currently on plavix,lasix 160 mg daily, accupril, ateneol,coumadin ,nitrostat,zoloft(fibro)aspirin,fish oil,advair(copd).
I have a question concerning the meaning of 'panvascular',I have seen this term in my records and is new to me.It states I have panvascular disease, can you please explain what this is?
 derek - Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:16 am

Dear writer
Where you possibly carrying something or perhaps participating in a streneous activity? This has tendancies to trap nerves and cause muscles to pull and cause shooting pains. I would however rule out that it firstly is a heart disease go and see a cardiologist, then investigate my suggestion.

Yours faithfully
derek

|