Question: Right side chest pains

jerjonjoe - Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:53 pm

The last day or so I have been having extremely sharp chest pains on my right side, right under my right breast. It hurst to breathe and move at times. It seems to have gone away for a couple of hours but is back again. I know if you are having a heart attack it is on the left middle of your chest, could you please let me know what you think this might be. I have been on all the same medicines for awhile now and have not had any new foods or spicy foods?
Thank you
 Rhonda P, CEP - Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:20 am

User avatar Hello Jerjonjoe,

It sounds like you may have pleurisy, this occurs when the double membrane (pleura) that lines the chest cavity and surrounds each of your lungs becomes inflamed. The signs of pleurisy are severe chest pain that starts suddenly and is often strong or stabbing when you take a deep breath. It usually subsides or disappears between breaths. It's usually felt on one side of the chest. Deep breathing and coughing often make it worse. You may have a fever, pain when moving, or fast, shallow breathing. Typically, you will be able to point to the exact location of the pain. In some people, the pain spreads to the neck, shoulder, or abdomen.

If this sounds like what you have, you may need antibiotics but until you can get to the doctors … when you cough, hold a pillow against your chest. Lie on the side that hurts, drink plenty of water, and use a humidifier to keep moisture in the air but keep it clean – you don’t need fungus growing in your lungs.

If this doesn’t sound like what you have, it could be something much worse. If the symptoms seem to get worse, call your Physician!

|