Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Mitral regurge

nicolep - Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:42 am

I am a 29 yr old female with the diagnosis of 3+ mitral valve regurgitation and bradycardia. I have had a heart murmur since I was a child, I can remember my doctor telling me I had the murmer everytime I went in to see him, I had step throat a lot as a child, about monthly. I had begun to have dizzy spells in 1999 with the shortness of breath, finally my FP doctor sent me to a cardiologist in 2001 I have had symptoms on and off since my diagnosis but over the last two weeks I havent been able to shake the symptoms. I have had constant shortness of breath and dizziness, blackouts, chest pain and pressure, pallipatations and some svt. I went to the hospital two weeks ago and my ekg was "normal" but I had the bradycardia present and my blood work was normal. My HR was in the low 40's, I was sent home. I had a followup with my family practice doctor one week later, still feeling the same symptoms, and my BP was 111/53, I was given an ekg and it showed the bradycardia, I was given 60 of Toridol for the chest pain and had an echo later that afternoon at my cardiologist office. I am still waiting for my echo results and have and appt with my cardiologist tomorrow, but I am concerned with my symptoms. What are the typical considerations for valve repair and do my symptoms seem on course with my diagnosis? I am worried about diastolic heart failure because of my symptoms but have very mild edema in my legs and and wouldnt an ekg show if that were the case? Thank you for your time.

Regards,
Nicole
 sisohel - Tue Jul 29, 2003 3:10 pm

Dear Nicolep,
Thank you for using our website. I understand your worries as you are anxious about results of your Echo.Yes , your sympomt seems course with Bradycardia and Mitral Regurgitation.Your mild edema in legs is most probably be due to toridol 60 which you have been taking and this is ususally not detected in ekg. I think you need not worry about diastolic heart failure at this moment. Your Cardiologist will be able to guide you in this regards and suggest the best option for you mitral regur and valve repair.
Best Wishes,

|