Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Echo results/trace regurgitation

mom4cem - Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:53 pm

Thank you Dr. for your time!

39yr F/mom of 3. Dx w/MVP over 12 yrs ago. Over the years echo has shown trace mitral regur. some echos show trace tricuspid and more recently the last echo had trace mitral,, tricuspid and pulmonic regurg. My report always says suggestive of but does not meet strict diagnositc criteria of MVP. I have been with the same Dr. for 10 yrs. (cardiologist). Originally began seeing him for palpitations which I still have occasionaly over the years, pvc pac. I have done several holters and loop event monitors over the years and have been reassured that they are all benign. During these years I have had 3 normal pregnancies. He routinely does ekg each time I am in his office and usually an echo every 1-2 yrs. I am highly anxious by nature and after the last echo/stress echo, he told me nothing had changed, and then upon my seeing the report I was quite upset by seeing the trace pulmonic regurgitation. He said it means nothing, can be seen in normals, is certainly open to interpretation by person performing the sonogram and reassured me again. I still periodically become anxious thinking about this trace pulmonic reurgitation and prognosis. :(

Are these findings seen in normals? Are the also influenced by the exercise portion of the test? Would/could findings be different if this were just a "at rest" echo? Is this also something that may be seen in this echo but not with the next? Any reassurance is appreciated.
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:09 pm

Dear Mom4cem,

I agree with your doctors... nothing sounds worrying at all...and it can be found in normal individuals.....and the out come of the echo can vary from one person to another... it's not certain.

the question is,.....what are you complaining of?! if you don't have any complaint...then don't think about it at all....stress is not good for health,....especially when you have nothing to worry about!

enjoy your time .....and don't think too much in trivial things like that... i believe your cardiologist has been taking good care of you.especially during your pregnancies.

Take care,
 mom4cem - Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:56 pm

Complaints, humm, where should I start..lol. I have/ had pvc's, pac's etc, tachycardia, but have been followed all these years, plus months of event monitor etc., and nothing significant has shown per my physician. I tend to have issues with health anxiety and focus to much on it perhaps.
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:37 pm

Dear mom4cem

well :? ...despite that...all seems fine...i suggest you make a routine light exercise...to relieve your anxiety/stress and it's good for your heart.
change your habits...like drinking coffee,tea,alcohol, cigarrete smoking...these are all bad for the heart and the general conition.
If you are overwieght...try and lose some.are you hypertensive or diabetic?

well, you do not have a heart problem...it's all trivial stuff...not to concern you, i am telling you these suggestions...because it's a healthy living/healthy heart life style....so it's good for you anyway :)

Best wishes,

|