News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: Sudden High Blood Pressure

wvbonnie - Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:40 pm

10 days ago, in a rush to leave town for a funeral, I was feeling more stressed out than usual, very tense, jittery, somewhat short of breath, and palpitations. I checked my blood pressure and it was 158/98. The symptoms passed after a few minutes but I didn't feel well for another couple hours. My blood pressure stayed high (over 140/90) for the next several days, but otherwise I felt ok.

I saw my doctor when we got back to town 5 days later. My BP was again 159/98. She did an EKG which was normal, and did some blood work which I am waiting to get results on. She told me to stop the oral contraceptives and put me on a diuretic.

My blood pressure is all over the place since then, but averaging still around 140/92. My blood pressure has never been higher than 135/80 in the past, and is usually in the 120/70 range. I have some tingling around my face and in my hands and generally don't feel quite normal, but started the day I started the diuretic, so I figure that may be a side effect.

My cholesterol was high last time I had it checked (6 months ago) but not high enough to warrant meds at the time. I think the total was 230. I do not smoke. I am 5'5" and 160 lbs.

I do weight training 45 minutes every other day, and walk some or shoot basketball those days as well. I got short of breath, light-headed and had very rapid heartbeat after just a few minutes of shooting basketball on Saturday, which had also happened to me about a month ago.

I am still waiting to hear from the doctor on lab results and next steps. I am worried this may be a heart condition.

If I had had a heart attack, wouldn't it show up on the EKG?

What should I expect the next steps to be? I don't see the doctor again until next week and I am worried. Any light you can shed on this would be a big help.

Thanks!
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:18 pm

User avatar Dear Bonnie,

A sudden increase in blood pressure is not a sign of having a heart attack. If you had a heart attack it would have appeared on the ekg.

There is no need to worry about your heart. You most probably either have anxiety over your blood pressure or you are develping hypertension (high blood pressure).

Hypertension can be treated with medications, so there is no need to worry.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.
 wvbonnie - Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:09 am

Thank you for the response. I just posted to the cardiology diagnostics forum about the results of a Holter monitor they did. Since the doctor put me on Cardizem I am feeling better, but am still concerned. Maybe I should just relax!

Thanks again!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here