Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Wondering if I should get checked for a heart murmor (sp?)

crbrooks - Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:04 am

From time to time I will get this little fluttering in my heart or it will skip a beat. I happens about once or twice every few days. My husband tries to tell me that it is a heart murmor but, I have never been diagnosed (or check to the best of my knowledge). My mother has a heart murmor and, I'm wondering if this is a hereditary condition? If this is something I should get checked out I would really like to know. And if it is a heart murmor, is it a serisous problem?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:38 pm

User avatar Dear crbrooks,

Having a skipped beat every now and then by no means indicates that you have a heart condition. It is not uncommon for young healthy individuals to have skipped beats from time to time.

A murmur means a noise or a sound, so it can only be detected by listening to the heart and it is caused by turbulance of blood. It does not necessarily mean that you have a diseased heart.

Whether having a murmur is serious or not depends on the underlying cause of the murmur

It is not a bad idea to tell your doctor about having these skipped beats from time to time but i don't think that it is an emergency.

|