News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Chest pain above the left breast

Shananikki20 - Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:58 am

I am 20 years old and have yo yo dieted since I was 15. I am bulimic, but I am getting better about it. I don't vomit, but take laxitives when I eat things that I know I shouldn't. I recently gained a great deal of wheight and decided to try and loose it. I have working out for about 30 minutes a day, and eating less that 300 calories. I am also taking diet pills. In the last few days I have begun to have chest pains above my left breast, towards the middle of my chest. They are sharp sometimes, normally while I work out, but the rest of the time it is sore, as if someone punched me in the chest. It feels like it starts on the surface of my skin and then it shoots down towards the inside of my chest. I am concerned and I don't know how to fix it. I also don't want to go see a doctor because I don't want to have to deal with my eating disorder. What is causing this pain?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:41 pm

User avatar Dear Shananikki20,

i can not tell for sure what is causing this pain without a physical exam.

Females of the child bearing age are naturally protected against coronary disease. You don't have any risk factors for coronary disease and the chest pain that you have is atypical, so the chest pain that you have is not due to coronary disease.

From your history and the description of the pain, this sounds like a pulled muscle or other chest wall cause more than anything else.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here