Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: My heart is driving me insane!

Michael39 - Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:41 pm

There is no other way to describe it. 24/7/365 my heart is constantly racing. It feels like there is someone inside my chest pounding away at the wall of my ribcage. The increase in my heart rate started about three years ago and has been an off and on problem. Lately, within the past 6 months, my heart has been beating like crazy all the time. When I go to sleep at night and wake up in the morning it is pounding. I can't even sit down to watch TV with out my heart going crazy. I don't know if it is stress or what, but I will do anything to help it stop. My diet is normal and I excercise regularly. I am not a smoker or drinker. I am only 17. Im too young for this. I have tried everything to stop it but nothing ever works. There are few moments of relaxation in my life because everytime I sit to unwind the pounding continues. It feels like a strong push of blood from my upper chest to my lower stomach. At night I can even feel the blood pulsating in my left leg. About a month ago, my left arm began to ache and I am begining to be worried about my situation. Is there any hope for me out there?
 jinkus - Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:35 pm

Michael,

I have the same problem as yourself and have been experiencing it for roughly for 6 months, I have had most cardio related tests that can be carried out in order to try and find the problem, every test I have has come back fine. The symptoms you are describing are exactly what I experience, although I have also have chest pain and am often short of breath. I am older than you at the age of 21 but I don't think it is an age related problem, i am still going through the problem although i have been prescribed some pretty powerfull pain killers to combat the chest pain. I often get the sensation of extreme pulse in my legs and arms, also pins and needles in my lower arms.

I am a financial advisor and the job i do is reasonably stressful which dosent help my situation, my advice to you would be to try and relax properly, because even though you amy think you are resting you are probably not shutting down the most powerful tool of the body, the brain. Just because your body is relaxed it dosent mean you have let your brain rest. so you may be dwelling on the fact you have a fast heart rate, which in turn would make you hyper aware, which would make you more consious of your pulse and the rate at which your heart is beating. Please try and take some comfort in knowing that it is more than likly nothing serious and is probably something that will go away in time. If you are still worried and it is playing on your mind, consult you GP and see what advice he/she amy be able to offer. They may put you through some tests which may help to shed some light on what is causing your feeling of a fast heart rate.

I hope this has been some help to you. Please feel free to reply.

Regards

Sean
 Michael39 - Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:33 pm

Just so you all know, I went to the doctor today and she diagnosed me with PVC (Premature Ventricular Contractions). Its pretty much an extra heart beat between my regular beats brought on by stress. The doc put me on some meds that would slow my heart rate and hopefully stop or lessen the irritating beats.

Michael
 ramonm - Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:31 pm

Hi people I have been having similar problems since 2003 when I had very importabnt exams, the problem is jsut stress , don't worry , I am a nervous person nd so I get stressed out very quickly , my doctor suggested that I stop caffeine ( taking coffee ) and reduce chocolate input. So I think it is just stress you are having with racing heart everyday , Jsut relax and calm down, if you have any doubts just go and have an ecg or some test to clear doubts . I am also 17 year old .

Ramon Mangion

|